Cretaceous Sharks Of New Mexico

Several years ago I was fortunate enough to be a part of a large monograph on cretaceous sharks published by the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science. There had been a preliminary report (1989) on the selachien fauna of the Hosta Tongue of the Point Lookout Sandstane that included eight species of shark and ray fossils. This preliminary study was prepared using almost entirely surface finds. I went back to the site several years ago and discovered a discreet, thin layer of sandstone that was the source of the surface finds. The site is very remote. I had to dig some layer (no easy task), and backpack the material out. It is a grueling hike to say the least. I the processed the material through a series of sieves with the smallest being 1/2mm. In all I recovered almost 9000 vertebrate fossils, mainly shark and ray teeth. All were donated to the NMMNHS. Some of those specimens are holotypes. There are three specimens in the monograph that were collected previously and the rest were all donated by me.

I wanted someone that is very knowledgeable to assist with ID’s as I was a little green and had not seen a lot of cretaceous teeth. I managed to rope Jim Bourdon into the project. We identified 33 species of selachiens, many new to science. There was also a pretty fair amount of reptile material in the layer including at least two species of dinosaur and the ubiquitous softshell turtle shell fragments.

The names given to the newly described genera and species were mostly based on local tribes in the area and of course the Rio Puerco. The monograph is available for all to read and is most easily found in Elasmo.com. There is a summary of the fauna in the fauna list and a link to the paper in “news and finds”.

Attached are a couple of images from the plates in the monograph. The first is Scindodorax novimexicanus, a new genus of anacoracid. The second is Cederstroemia ziaensis, an orectolobiform named after a nearby pueblo.

It was a great experience and I was very proud of the results. A careful re-examination of fossil assemblages can certainly lead to descriptions of new beasts and plants.

I can scan and post more species if anyone is interested.

post-11667-0-02432200-1398878261_thumb.jpg

post-11667-0-82611700-1398878273_thumb.jpg

Edited by creto

Well let me extend my virtual hand and say "thank you" for your contributions, time and what sounds like gallons of sweat! Haha

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Fantastic news! Congratulations! That kind of information is needed.

Oh YES, scan and post more images! :D

Welcome to the forum!

Creto, this is fantastic...your very own bulletin! :meg dance:

I will be stopping by the museum today to pick up a copy.

Thank you for your contribution. This will be an excellent reference.

Looking at the Township/Range, you were definitely hiking a ways...dedication. Congrats for all your hard work paying off!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Wow. I'm sure your efforts have already assisted hundreds of researchers and collectors.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Absolutely fantastic material, thanks for the posting---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thank you all for the kind words. This project really was a big undertaking. I tried to post more images to the reply but couldn't figure out how. I don't have a URL for the images.

Creto,

I know Bulletin 52 well - ordered it right after I heard about it. As someone who has spent a lot of time hunting/photocopying references on fossil sharks and rays in a number of libraries since the late 80's, and has found relatively little on New Mexico sites, I truly appreciate your contribution to that thin-yet-substantial publication.

Thank you,

Jess

Several years ago I was fortunate enough to be a part of a large monograph on cretaceous sharks published by the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science. There had been a preliminary report (1989) on the selachien fauna of the Hosta Tongue of the Point Lookout Sandstane that included eight species of shark and ray fossils. This preliminary study was prepared using almost entirely surface finds. I went back to the site several years ago and discovered a discreet, thin layer of sandstone that was the source of the surface finds. The site is very remote. I had to dig some layer (no easy task), and backpack the material out. It is a grueling hike to say the least. I the processed the material through a series of sieves with the smallest being 1/2mm. In all I recovered almost 9000 vertebrate fossils, mainly shark and ray teeth. All were donated to the NMMNHS. Some of those specimens are holotypes. There are three specimens in the monograph that were collected previously and the rest were all donated by me.

I wanted someone that is very knowledgeable to assist with ID’s as I was a little green and had not seen a lot of cretaceous teeth. I managed to rope Jim Bourdon into the project. We identified 33 species of selachiens, many new to science. There was also a pretty fair amount of reptile material in the layer including at least two species of dinosaur and the ubiquitous softshell turtle shell fragments.

The names given to the newly described genera and species were mostly based on local tribes in the area and of course the Rio Puerco. The monograph is available for all to read and is most easily found in Elasmo.com. There is a summary of the fauna in the fauna list and a link to the paper in “news and finds”.

Attached are a couple of images from the plates in the monograph. The first is Scindodorax novimexicanus, a new genus of anacoracid. The second is Cederstroemia ziaensis, an orectolobiform named after a nearby pueblo.

It was a great experience and I was very proud of the results. A careful re-examination of fossil assemblages can certainly lead to descriptions of new beasts and plants.

I can scan and post more species if anyone is interested.

simply awesome, thank you for making this information available.

I would love to read more about it and see more specimens!

• 6 months later...

Here is a continuation of a previous post.

Fig. A- as far as i know this is the only specimen of Egertonodus from North America

Fig. B-G Hybodus montanensis

Fig. H-I Planohybodus. These specimens are also the first reported from N.A.

Fig. J Ptychodus mortoni.

Fig. K Ptychodus sp. This is a specimen that I did not personnaly collect. I suspect there might be some confusion as to the origin.

post-11667-0-27980000-1415828747_thumb.jpg

Fig. A Lonchidion sp. This is the only specimen I recovered-wierd that the root is in such good shape.

Fig. B-C Parasquatina sp.

Figs E-J Cantioscyllum decipens

Fig. K Chiloscyllum sp.

post-11667-0-45888600-1415829273_thumb.jpg

Edited by creto

These are Squalicorax teeth, along with a couple of Cretoxyrhina. They have always been my favorite.

First plate:

A-F Squalicorax lindstromi

G-H Squalicorax yangaensis

Second plate:

A-G Squalicorax yangaensis

H-I Cretoxyrhina mantelli

post-11667-0-06944500-1415829708_thumb.jpg

post-11667-0-94810100-1415829727_thumb.jpg

These are Scapanorhynchus puercoensis, a new species from this monograph. An artificial tooth set was reconstructed by Jim Bourdon(he made all the images) from my specimens. This was by far the most abundant shark in the fauna.

post-11667-0-78408100-1415830249_thumb.jpg

post-11667-0-07663200-1415830265_thumb.jpg

These are Pueblocarcharius kawaikensis, named for a nearby pueblo, and one Cretalamna appendiculata.

A-H Pueblocarcharius

I Cretalamna

post-11667-0-47457400-1415830703_thumb.jpg

Edited by creto

These are Texatrygon stouti, a new species from this monograph.

A-F orals

G-H hypothesized rostrals

I probably a juvenile Texatrygon

post-11667-0-06002600-1415831203_thumb.jpg

These are Ischyrhiza cf. mira. The orals are very small compared to most late Cretaceous faunas so it may be a distinct species.

A-F orals

G-K rostrals

post-11667-0-56401000-1415831400_thumb.jpg

These are Onchopristis sp. and Sclerorhynchus sp. This is the only report I know of that included Onchopristis orals. For some reason there were no suspected orals of Sclerorhynchus, which for most faunas the orals of Sclerorhynchiformes are more abundant.

A Onchopristis rostral. I did not find this specimen. Very rare taxon in N.A.

B-D hypothesized orals

E-F Sclerorhynchus rostrals.

post-11667-0-47034700-1415831582_thumb.jpg

Keith, I have merged your "continuation" of this incredible collection of New Mexico shark teeth with your original topic.

Thank you for sharing the additional plates with the membership.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ