Possible End Of Fossil Collecting In Washington & Oregon

CH4ShotCaller

Some of the concretions have calcite inside, I could get a claim based on that, bring in a mini excavator and take thousands of concretions to search for calcite. I'll bring back the non-calcified concretions. B)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Maybe they'd buy it if you said that "crabite" was a top secret strategic mineral...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Maybe they'd buy it if you said that "crabite" was a top secret strategic mineral...

Genius! I vital ingredient for the continued advancement in medicinal research!

post-7395-0-02957800-1404951117_thumb.png :P

Gotta look at this with some humor, can't have me blood pressure gettin' too high over something outside my control.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Bwahahaha!

Maybe you can become a logger. Then skip out at lunch and go collect!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

As for what is driving this whole movement, I think you have to differentiate between proximate and root causes. The root causes may be the damage done by rogue collectors - who should be stopped, and should be condemned by all of us. The proximate cause, however, I suspect is an office full of corporate lawyers.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

As for what is driving this whole movement, I think you have to differentiate between proximate and root causes. The root causes may be the damage done by rogue collectors - who should be stopped, and should be condemned by all of us. The proximate cause, however, I suspect is an office full of corporate lawyers.

Rich

Rich

I definitely agree. Unfortunately the corporate lawyers are reacting to the ever increasing number of lawsuits nationwide brought by folks who get injured on these properties.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I guess it is less fair (to us) but easier (for them) to apply a blanket ban than to root out the 5%? 10%? 20%? who are causing the problems. They don't care that we find it unfair, all they care is that they solve their problems with the least possible effort/money.

I guess it is less fair (to us) but easier (for them) to apply a blanket ban than to root out the 5%? 10%? 20%? who are causing the problems. They don't care that we find it unfair, all they care is that they solve their problems with the least possible effort/money.

Nearly a year ago, I posted a picture of a common site that someone had spray painted 'Keep Out". I wonder if that was a sign of things to come. Sure seems like it now.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Headed out the door with my maps, gonna Recon some new sites.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Good luck! I hope you do find a good, legal site (or several!).

I can sympathize with having to deal with a blanket ban on collecting. Here in NY, collecting anything (except berries, nuts, and fungi) is prohibited on state-owned lands. That does make it difficult to find good sites!

I found a site, it has great potential. It took a lot of research and is on private land. I left my name and number with the owner and I hope they call; I made them an offer they couldn't refuse. :D Fingers crossed hoping this pans out. My apologies to all my fossil collecting brothers and sisters, I'll have to keep this classified 'Top Secret'. :ninja: Ha

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Haha, good to hear sir! I hope everything pans out for ya.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG