I've Got Worms.....well Hopefully

fossilized6s

A little Dumb and Dumber humor for ya.

But im hoping these are worms. These Mazon Creek nodules were found at pit 2.

Now they look similar to a Coprinoscolex ellogimus or "leech" by hunters. But I've found nothing but vegetation thus far in my nodules from there. So they may just be a solitary pinnule from a Annularia, Asterophyllites or Lepidostrobophyllum.

Please let me know what you see. Thanks.

post-14584-0-76164000-1404429214_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-00545500-1404429238_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-08813100-1404429228_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-51728000-1404429250_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-93491600-1404429262_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-83904100-1404429272_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

sorry I dont have an answer for you but we went to check out mazon today but can't find where everyone is going? all the directions are vague. could you possibly help us out a little?

Sorry, definitely not worms.they appear to be plant fragments.

Where you are collecting is all part of the Braidwood portion of the deposit. Polychaete and other worm types are only found (with rare exception) in the marine (Essex) portion.

sorry I dont have an answer for you but we went to check out mazon today but can't find where everyone is going? all the directions are vague. could you possibly help us out a little?

Yeah. Check out the Fossil Rock Campground, ask for Wayne. He's a great guy that will direct you back to the collecting site. It's $5 a person fyi.

Sorry, definitely not worms.they appear to be plant fragments.

Where you are collecting is all part of the Braidwood portion of the deposit. Polychaete and other worm types are only found (with rare exception) in the marine (Essex) portion.

Noooo! Ahhh, that's ok. Thanks for the help sir.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Yikes! Ticks are one thing but I'd hate to come away from a collecting trip with worms too.... :blink:

No, actually, worms would be good or even fern pinnules even. Good to see you are still having some good luck with the nodules popping for you. I'm on hold for the moment till I repack my freezer to organize this year's mango crop and make some room for a box of rocks.

FYI: One of my favorite words that (thankfully) does not come into common use these days is "vermifuge". Sounds better rolling off the tongue than it probably would be going the other direction. Look it up online if you are (hopefully) unfamiliar with this term.

Keep the photos coming Charlie--that way I can enjoy vicariously till mine start hatching.

Cheers.

-Ken

I was hoping for some kind of creatures instead of the usual ferns..... Don't get me wrong, the ferns and plants are awesome (it was on my bucket list), but now i need variety! Im thinking heavy hunting come fall at pit #11 is in order!

As soon as more pop, I'll make a whole big page for pics and pointers.

Ken, i see a large garage freezer in your future......haha! Im lucky enough to have an extra "beer/overflow" fridge in my garage with a large freezer. It's working out just great!

~Charlie~

See how quickly you progress through the stages of addiction. First, all you want is a complete nodule that hasn't been split into layered shards by the weather. Then you discover the laborious method of digging up nodules instead of surface hunting them. Next, you set your sites a bit higher after acquiring a cache of nodules and you hope for something recognizable in them when they split. With the help of TFF members you get "in the zone" and start finding nodules with some cool plant material in them. Later, this excitement peaks and after attaining the goal of some nice fern material, you are ready to broaden your diversity with some animals.

It continues this way with loftier goals each time--a better example of this or that, a "museum quality" nodule, one of the "rare" animal types like a Tully, and finally something new to science. The ladder of success in a hobby like this has unequal spaced rungs. The first ones are close-set tempting you further into your hobby/addiction but the higher rungs become more widely spaced. Progress beyond the early stages requires persistence, a fair share of luck, and, in the ideal case, a helping hand from someone above you on the ladder. Time and time again, that helping hand has come from a TFF member generously sharing their knowledge and helping us newbies to advance enough in the ranks to start assisting those even fresher to the field of study that forms the foundation of this forum--that which has gone before us and left tantalizing clues for us to find.

A supplemental freezer has been an idea tickling the back of my brain for the last week. Usually the squirrels decimate my mango tree before I get to picking them. Since full size mangos ripen just fine a few days after being picked if they are set out in a cool location out of the sun, it is a good way of outwitting those crafty little rodents with the bushy tails and the big eyes. Wouldn't mind sharing my harvest with the little blighters but they have the annoying habit of choosing a different mango each day and eating a small bit of it before moving onto another on the next day. I could see the slight color break on my mangos and the gnaw marks on enough of them to figure they were ready to harvest. I got motivated and stripped out over 100 from my tree one day (I hope the squirrels were surprised and went back to finish off the ones they'd started, which I left). Picking them all at once does have the downside of an instant riches of mangos about a week later--but the house sure does smell great.

Hmmmm, a beer fridge--is there no problem that can't be solved by beer? :blink::drool:

Now, every time I enjoy some mango from my freezer I have the added advantage of being that much closer to being able to freeze/thaw a bunch of 300mya rocks. Proving once again that the male of the species is at once both a simple creature and yet inscrutable.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ludwigia. I'll have to look that one up.

I hear ya Ken. My obsession is becoming firmly rooted. Fortunately for my family it's two and a half hours away.....haha. But looking at a freshly thawed batch of nods is like opening a present every two to three days! It's actually more fun then i was thinking.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

Granted that the general public might consider our idea of a fun hobby a bit more than strange but to those who have experienced the joy of being the first to see some ancient artifact or feeling the heady potential of being positioned to make such a discovery, it is quite the rush.

I'm only two hours and 45 minutes away (but that's by plane)....

Luckily I've got a few buckets of potentially fossiliferous material sitting nearby in my garage (Mazon Creek nodules, some Peace River micro-matrix gravel, and even a few Green River fish plates still waiting for me to get better tools [air scribe?] before I tackle them). Life is good!

Cheers.

-Ken

Well you're definitely in a prime spot for fossiling. Im sure even digging in your yard you can find them. So when i find a spot out here it's hard to stay away. If i lived in Florida i'd be a river rat huntin' fool! Haha!

~Charlie~