Oviposition-Scars On A Calamite Stem From The Westphalian D Of The Piesberg, Germany

paleoflor

Big Congrats ... Great Work! :fistbump:

image.thumb.png.c5579189461172d548423b1755a69a75.png

Laaß, M., Hauschke, N. 2019

Earliest record of exophytic insect oviposition on plant material from the latest Pennsylvanian (Gzhelian, Stephanian C) of the Saale Basin, Germany.

Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 534(109337):1-12

Wolterbeek, T.K.T. 2014

Eilegging door een insect uit het Carboon van de Piesberg.

[Egg Laying by an insect from the Carboniferous of Piesberg.]

Grondboor & Hamer, 68(3):50-53  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 3 years later...

Time for another update on oviposition scars, because a lot of exciting stuff has happened since January 2020: 

Firstly, in the meantime even older (Bashkirian) oviposition scars have been discovered in the Mospinka Fm. of the Donets Basin, Ukraine. See the paper by Dernov (2021) on this cool find. Secondly, Laaß et al. (2023) recently published a wonderful paper in which they established several ichnotaxa for different types of oviposition scars occurring at the Piesberg quarry (Moscovian) near Osnabrück, Germany. The specimen I described in 2014 was included in their analysis and assigned to one of the new taxa, namely Paleoincisurus hellmundi Laaß et al. 2023. For two of the other new ichnospecies, namely Megaovoidus compactus Laaß et al. 2023 and Megaovoidus foveolatus (Roselt) Laaß et al. 2023, I have added some of my own examples to the Steinbruch Piesberg album here on TFF.

Both of these papers are interesting reads and highly recommended!

References:

Dernov, V. (2021). The earliest insect endophytic oviposition (Early Pennsylvanian, Eastern Ukraine). Visnyk Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, 4(95), pp. 16-24. 

Laaß, M., Leipner, A., Hauschke, N., and Rößler, R. (2023) Oviposition abundance and diversity in the Middle Pennsylvanian: the exceptional fossil largerstätte Piesberg, northwest Germany. Palaeontographica, Abteilung B: Palaeobotany - Palaeophytology, 305(1), pp. 1-91.

• I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Thank you so much for sharing this research. I was lucky enough to find a fine example of oviposition scars from the middle Pennsylvanian of Illinois, so this is very helpful for putting it into context.