Dinosaur Fossil Find

ridgerd22511

The x-rays posted were to check density against any moldable or carved material, such as clay or any other less dense material. The x-rays were done with quartz rock to show the difference in density. They clearly show a bone structure and the quartz dissipating before the fossil.

post-15024-0-01449600-1409707175_thumb.png

post-15024-0-46710900-1409707182_thumb.png

post-15024-0-48626000-1409707187_thumb.png

post-15024-0-75796300-1409707192_thumb.png

The x-rays posted were to check density against any moldable or carved material, such as clay or any other less dense material. The x-rays were done with quartz rock to show the difference in density. They clearly show a bone structure and the quartz dissipating before the fossil.

These images do not clearly show bone structure. X-rays of many materials can appear to look similar to bone. If you are interested in an objective assessment, take your objects to Stratford Hall, Calvert Marine Museum, or Westmoreland State Park visitor center and let us know what they say.

Hospital x-ray techs are not experts on fossils for the same reasons you don't want a paleontologist interpreting your medical tests.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Ridgerd22511

I do not see an answer that will satisfy you using this forum. JohnJ has provided you options you can use to obtain additional assessments that appears to be very close to your listed forum location. I would urge you to take his advice.

You are only 30 miles from Westmoreland State Park; there are fossil displays in their visitor's center where you can see the kinds of fossils to be found in your area, and sections of their beach are open for collecting. A visit would be a great way for you to get yourself oriented on the local geology, and what can be found. :)

I would like to cast my vote for Auspex to receive another Member of the Month award. He continues to show sound judgment and patience in the face of ridiculousity.

Truly,

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

ridgerd22511, why is the item on the left different in the common areas seen on the right two images?

attachicon.gifridge3.jpg

Why have you not answered this question?

These images do not clearly show bone structure. X-rays of many materials can appear to look similar to bone. If you are interested in an objective assessment, take your objects to Stratford Hall, Calvert Marine Museum, or Westmoreland State Park visitor center and let us know what they say.

Hospital x-ray techs are not experts on fossils for the same reasons you don't want a paleontologist interpreting your medical tests.

I'll second that and would suggest that you continue your search elsewhere as you are not going to get the answer which you appear to be seeking on this forum.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi Ridgerd22511.

Thanks for going to the trouble of X-rays and posting them. Yes they may have density similar to a fossil, but they simply don't look at all like fossilized bone. I assume various rocks, both natural and carved could also have that density.

I don't think you molded these. I assume you found them like you said. But what they are remains unclear.

They could be slag from a mine. Or a carved rock from a long time ago. Or perhaps even an ancient volcanic cast.

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

I would like to cast my vote for Auspex to receive another Member of the Month award. He continues to show sound judgment and patience in the face of ridiculousity.

Truly,

Cole~

Here here.XD

-Lyall

RidgeRd22511, in a sincere attempt to help you understand more about fossils, I suggest you read THIS TOPIC. There are some similarities with your situation and it may help you avoid errors in the process of identifying a find.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Im confused. Are we looking at two objects or one? Can we at least get that cleared up?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

A side shot of your new find looks like it may clear things up....at least for me. (Where the gray meets the brown)

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

A recent find. The one side has ben cleaned the other is still in it's original form.

How did you 'clean it up'?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Why are you being so evasive (rhetorical question)?

You were asked to explain some apparent discrepancies in the pictures.

You were asked to give it a streak test.

You were asked about a possible edge view.

Auspex was expecting more than just a picture of your tools when he asked how you cleaned it up (as I'm sure you knew).

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

I'm not clear if the gray ones are before or after clean-up? Is clean-up removing the gray coating or adding it?

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

I post #62, image #1 the right side of the "thing" seems to show that it is hollow. Can we see that side?

This seems like a game show. :) I'd like to buy a vowel, please.

I think his misinterpreted meaning of cleaning a "fossil" is to remove any soft areas, leaving what can only be described as a geologic form.

I think there's a real misunderstanding of fossil prep 101 going on here.

~Charlie~

This is the closest thing to it I have ever found. It is a small piece of petrified wood from the Jurassic of New Mexico.

In Georgia they call that "chaw".

Put it back. Didn't your mother teach you not to pick those up? :)

It is just one piece. The grey side is clean. The other side still has the iron ore that incased the entire item

This is a marine bivalve shell, a scallop (probably Chesapecten sp.) >LINK<

post-423-0-61031500-1409775674_thumb.jpg

It confirms that the deposit was laid down in the Neogene Chesapeake Embayment, 45 million years after dinosaurs went extinct.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!