Dinosaur Bone?

sjaak

Dear all,

This piece was found in middle or upper jurassic sediments in the North of France (probably upper). Sediments are marine. You can usually find ammonites and sometimes bones of ichthyosaur or plesiosaur. However, fragments of land dinosaurs have been found (megalosaurus, iguanodon).

The morphology of this piece resembles a big bone. I can also see some typical structure (see the small pictures). The white stuff inside does not look like bone. Could this be a big hollow bone that was filled with sediment?

I also added a picture a took once in a local museum that made me think about dinosaur bone. It has the same outer and inner structure.

I collect Pleistocene bones and I'm not familiar with old bones. So I doubt. I hope that anyone can help.

If you do not think it's a bone, any other suggestions?

Regards,

Niels

post-4293-0-10459900-1426967987_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-19894600-1426967994_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-40393900-1426968003_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-79438300-1426968009_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-39502800-1426968017_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-19017400-1426968028_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-31543900-1426968038_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-40262400-1426968046_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-09578700-1426968053_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-31438000-1426968059_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-90085700-1426968681_thumb.jpg

If it is bone for certain, it would be from a robust animal, and it does not look like fish bone,

post-423-0-20530500-1426972413_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Not sure I have an answer but theropod leg bones are hollow which can fill up with sediment or form crystals.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks. I made some pictures with a cheap USB microscope. Definitely some organic structure there!

post-4293-0-88959700-1426976290_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-00573800-1426976304_thumb.jpg

I gotta' ask: could it be petrified wood?

Just covering the bases...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

My first impression is that it is bone. But it can be difficult to say for sure without the bone in hand.

I gotta' ask: could it be petrified wood?

Just covering the bases...

Although the microscope structure also reminded me about fossil wood, I think this can be ruled out because the inside appears to be holow and filled with sediment. Not sure though.

My first impression is that it is bone. But it can be difficult to say for sure without the bone in hand.

Thanks. I know it's difficult from a picture.I'll try to find some comparison material.

Could I be seeing hints of cycad ?

I never heard of a cycad before bit I did some googling and the resemblance is close (inner structure)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3342/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/16017-fossil-cycad/

This also fits with the wood like microscopic structure.

I think this one is solved. A little disappointed, but still a nice piece!

Thanks!

Not sure what the experts are not saying, but I'm taking it as tacit confirmation. I would put it at least on par with a bone. I think it's a fine piece.

You're very welcome

Well, I received a message from a plant/ wood expert who doesn't recognize this as wood and thinks this might be bone. Now I am back at were I started....

I guess a good microscope could tell the difference??

PS

Could it be that some messages (about a bone with teeth marks) and one of my replies have been removed from this discussion?

Edited by sjaak

...PS

Could it be that some messages (about a bone with teeth marks) and one of my replies have been removed from this discussion?

Yes. The poster is an infamous pseudo-scientist; preaching that virtually every water-worn rock is a 3-dimensionally preserved soft-tissue organ (dinosaur hearts, etc...). We have declined to publish his views.

Your reply to him was just by-catch ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, I completly forgot "the wet finger test". It sticked so I think I can now safely that this is a bone.

Question remains what kind of animal. It looks like part of a huge long bone. So I think dinosaur.

With only a small piece of bone like that trying to figure out what animal it came from is not possible. I think the closest you can get is what we like to call "chunkasaurus" :D

• I found this Informative 2

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

:)

I will remember that name. Not many dinosaur fossils in Europe. Im happy with every chunk.

• 1 year later...

Hello again. Today I prepped this old find a little bit. This structure appeared under the sediment on the bone surface. Any ideas?

2-2016-11-20 19.21.43.jpg

3-2016-11-20 19.21.01.jpg

4-2016-11-20 19.20.59.jpg

5-2016-11-20 19.06.26a.jpg