Acid Prep

losblancos3

• New Members

hey guys,

I'm new to posting, I hope this is in the right place. So I got these sorts of fossils from the Richmond/Hughenden Queensland area and I was wondering if there is any way to acid prep so I could be left with the fossil shark teeth and belemnites. The rock is not limestone....so I'm not sure if it's even possible.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Roy

post-13659-0-71496100-1429870557_thumb.jpg

If it is not limestone, acid will not help (though it would do a number on the belemnites!).

If it is sandstone, you probably won't find a chemical approach. If it is shale, you could try Hydrogen Peroxide on some scrap material; be patient with it :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Thank you for the help! I guess i will have to get them the long way.

good luck and feel free to show us the final product. We love to see pix of fossils of all kinds.

Edited by jpc

You can coat the belemnites with PVA or PVB and then soak in a VERY dilute acid bath. This is a standard approach for acid prep on delicate specimens. The plastic will turn cloudy from the acid, but once re-coated it clears up.

Subsequent applications of PVA are required as matrix is removed in order to keep from damaging the specimen.