Sympseal, Pathological Or Both

sharko69

I found this tooth in some matrix I was digging through last night. This tooth is just over a half inch. I am thinking Cretoxyrhina marginal tooth? The tooth comes from Post Oak Creek. Would love some help. As always thank you for the feedback.

post-15063-0-79901900-1431537305_thumb.jpg

post-15063-0-20075200-1431537327_thumb.jpg

post-15063-0-08972500-1431537343_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I have no clue what the tooth is, but it is a cool little tooth. It looks pathological to me, but i'm hoping the experts will weight-in on this one, good luck!

Jay

Hmm...thought for sure someone would know what this is from. Thought I would bump it and try again.

Thank you for any help.

I don't know where all the shark tooth collectors are either. There have been a few weird teeth posted in the past couple of weeks that have received little to no comment. People get busy. With unusual teeth, if someone doesn't know, he tends not to reply with an "I don't know." I don't know what it is either but let's speculate.

Your tooth shows some wear so that has likely dulled some fine features. Someone might say it's a Cretodus symphyseal but I don't see any sign of labial folds (embossed ridges or wrinkles) near the base of the crown and your tooth seems a little too big for that. Take a magnifier and check for hints of folds. It does have the prominent lingual protuberance of Cretodus.

The other possibility I see is that it is a pathologic Cretolamna appendiculata - perhaps a less fully-developed third anterior relative to the adjacent teeth and it got crowded into more of a mesio-distally compressed shape. I have seen a deformed great white like that before but the root doesn't look right even for a deformed tooth.

It doesn't look like a Scapanorhynchus tooth.

The root doesn't look right for Cretoxyrhina either and by the time of the Post Oak shark fauna Cretoxyrhina didn't have lateral cusplets (at least not ones as prominent as those). Still, that could be a possibility if it is a pathologic.

Hmm...thought for sure someone would know what this is from. Thought I would bump it and try again.

Thank you for any help.