Pet. Wood

Foshunter

A few posts back, a member hunted the Sulphur and found some pet. wood pieces. I posted that if possible take the pieces and run them through a rock polisher. At the time of posting my examples were packed in the black hole of moving boxes in the garage. Finally found them and posted the polished results. My personal opinion is taking the drab, piece to the far right, and turning them into display pieces. I always pick up the larger pieces for one day polishing more. I picked up 5 nice pieces on my last trip to the channel.-----Tom

post-3940-0-01023900-1435946987_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice petrified wood.

I found a lot in the area too including one piece that looked like snakewood.

Does anyone know from what age these are?

I think that they might be reworked from newer formations from the east such as the Ogalalla. I don't think that they came from the Austin and Taylor group layers since the only wood I have found was carbonized or pyritized.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I have found the wood, some palm wood, in the gravel lense above the Taylor Shale along with Mos. verts and shark teeth and other Cretaceous fossils. Above the gravel lense I have found Pleistocene fossils in the brown/tan clay type soil, not sure what that layer is----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Very nice pieces. I have a few in the tumbler as we speak...pre-polish stage, so 10 more days before it is all done.