Oligocene Insects, Not Florissant

PRK

GREAT FINDS!!!!

You should be proud of those. I have no problem with keeping prime, limited areas to one's self. There are areas that are very limited and could not stand the pressure that could happen from exposure. Keep it to yourself and your closest friends.

The maine thing I would suggest which you may already be doing, is to keep good records and label your collection. More great fossils become just fancey rocks, when no one knows where they came from.

How many have people posted for help ID'ing a fossil, but no idea where it came from? WE can all do better than that. :envy::popcorn::yay-smiley-1:

Hey PRK,

These finds are truly spectacular! Has this fauna been studied in a proper scientific manner, or are such studies planned?

Don

Quite the interesting insect---

It is not uncommon to find insects with no head never to be found. I'm assuming the "neck" area is the weakest part.

HOWEVER, incredibly this particular bugg was found with its head preserved only a few centimeters away

post-9950-0-33510400-1442276354_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

OK, last one for now

Winged seed---Ailanthus

Any comments to this thread are welcome

post-9950-0-54100800-1442354948_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

I'd post more comments, but I keep getting drool on my keyboard. :drool::envy:

Don

I agree with Don. These are incredible specimens, Paul. Thanks for showing us the images.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi dawg and thank you

I'm glad there is at least one person here that appreciates non amber insects

I'm sure there are lots of us who appreciate non-amber insects. Your stuff brings back memories of my 2 trips up to McAbee, finding Eocene insects and other things.

What did you mean earlier when you said you were trying to harden the specimen? How?

Quite the interesting insect---

It is not uncommon to find insects with no head never to be found. I'm assuming the "neck" area is the weakest part.

HOWEVER, incredibly this particular bugg was found with its head preserved only a few centimeters away

Lucky you. I probably would have overlooked the head.

It is also my experience that fossilized the insects often is missing their heads but also the wings seems to fall off quite often.

Beautiful fossils!! Congratulations on finding such a beautiful array of both plant and insect specimens. The detail in each one is amazing. I've enjoyed viewing them, and look forward to seeing more!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Interesting little association

Ive posted this piece before, but I don't think most people caught its significance

What can you see?

post-9950-0-22262600-1442951018_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Great collection, Paul.

Is there a lot of flora as well?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Interesting little association

Ive posted this piece before, but I don't think most people caught its significance

What can you see?

I see a leaf and a couple insects... Help us out, what is the significance (other than being a nice 3-fer association piece)?