Upper Carboniferous From French Alps

docdutronc

I think the features look organic; there are repeating patterns. What else but bark impressions could they be?

Still, they are unfamiliar...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Bruno,

Does the texture in the elongate structures resemble the matrix-texture of the barren rock? Could they be tearing-up of the bark somehow, say due to drying-out of the stem?

Tim

P.S. Your collecting area = beautiful scenery!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

The latest sample is a cordaicladus tissue from Liévin basin ( Bolsovian ) example of pattern .....

post-967-0-68828400-1446493872_thumb.jpg post-967-0-28114900-1446493998_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Very interesting, Bruno!

Look here: LINK

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 5 weeks later...

The bumps and cracks could be lenticel on tree bark ?

attachicon.gifIMG_32511 - Copie.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_32511.jpg

Hey Bruno, interesting examples..I can see why you were asking about lenticels. It also reminded me of some of the leaf scars on present day dracaenas although its not the same structure as what you are showing. post-1240-0-39140900-1449417588_thumb.jpg

The article Chas posted on the microbial mats you ID'd makes sense and has some great photos. Fascinating. Thanks to you both for the post.

Lots of other neat finds you have there.

Regards, Chris

Hi Bruno, thanks for the additional photos. I am curious if these are all from coal mine spoils (just laying on the surface of the ground/pile) or are you actually finding them in place and can see the actual layers/bedding? Are they a local isolated find or do you think there is a widespread individual thin bed of these matts or maybe a thick accumulation of layers of these things?

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris

It seems clear to me, that most of the wrinkled structures are caused by tectonics , pictures seem a combinaison of bacterial cyanobiomats and deformation of wrinkled surface due the local tectonic movement .It could be also caused by warmed exposition ( sun ? ) and desiccation . Here is attached modern biomats from Jordan.( photo professor Schneider ) .I found in place ,in this outcrop , on the right of this rivulet near Séchilienne ( Grenoble France ) .

Bruno

post-967-0-63417100-1449564450_thumb.jpg post-967-0-97970300-1449564479_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Hi Chris

It seems clear to me, that most of the wrinkled structures are caused by tectonics , pictures seem a combinaison of bacterial cyanobiomats and deformation of wrinkled surface due the local tectonic movement .It could be also caused by warmed exposition ( sun ? ) and desiccation . Here is attached modern biomats from Jordan.( photo professor Schneider ) .I found in place ,in this outcrop , on the right of this rivulet near Séchilienne ( Grenoble France ) .

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

I love seeing the outcrops and terrain and the understanding of the local geology-algal mats and tectonic action makes sense. thank you!

Thought you'd like to see some of the present day traces that I have taken pictures of over the past year or so and the fascinating patterns at least to me that they present.

I look at these ant trails and wonder what they might look like if they got preserved...almost lepidodendron scar like. Raindrop impressions along the ant trails make an interesting contrast. Stream ripplemarks fascinate me as do arthropod burrows and algae pads in a stream.

post-1240-0-80324900-1449629786_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-78445400-1449629792_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-65302600-1449629794_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-57574200-1449629789_thumb.jpg

I cant stop this curiousity of mine about all this stuff---present day as well as what the geologic record provides.

Thanks again for your photos.

Regards, Chris