Upper Carboniferous From French Alps

docdutronc

Hy Chris thank for your comment ,here I think to observe a piece of Lepistrobophyllum axis !!!

Joyeux Nöel

Bruno

post-967-0-54067600-1450981532_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful specimens, as always. Thanks for sharing these, Bruno. Best wishes for 2016!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Hy Chris thank for your comment ,here I think to observe a piece of Lepistrobophyllum axis !!!

Joyeux Nöel

Bruno

attachicon.gifIMG_34781 - Copie.jpg

Hi Bruno, I saw the pattern, but didnt recognize it...thought it was a small Lepidodendron twig. Thanks for pointing that out. Very nice plate!

Regards, Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Nice start of the year! Could the "decomposition" or "maceration" be related to tectonic deformation of the sediments containing the plant specimens? Not sure how much these sediments were affected by the formation of the Alps, but I can imagine they didn't get off very lightly... Some of the structures "in the leaves" seem to transgress into the rock matrix, which in general shows a rather similar texture anyway. Just a thought.

Hey Bruno, very nice material. congrats. Yes I agree with Tim...the fracture patterns seem to run thru the matrix and impression. Seems to maybe imply a local or regional stress as opposed to decomposition. I suppose though that some measure of both could have occurred as well. I'll shoot a note out and see if I can glean any additional confirmation. When you find specimens like these in situ do you take strike/slip measurements and note fossil orientation details within the bedding planes---am curious if geologic maps of the area show any local or regional deformation patterns?

Regards, Chris

Chris

Yes ,the carboniferous shales with plant remains are in contact with metamorphic shales ,and some of them are affected with deformation , the local Asturian orogenic phase is also a factor of contrain.

Bruno

Chris

Yes ,the carboniferous shales with plant remains are in contact with metamorphic shales ,and some of them are affected with deformation , the local Asturian orogenic phase is also a factor of contrain.

Bruno

Hey Bruno, thanks! I happened to shoot a note to Dr.DiMichele with your photos yesterday and already got a reply today to help us. Here it is...

I believe the wrinkles in the cordaitalean leaves, which are very nice specimens, by the way, are probably caused by undulations in the original leaf. Cordaitalean leaves were probably rather stiff, not droopy as shown in a lot of reconstructions. And developmentally, leaves such as this can have natural undulations across their surfaces. A place to take a look is at a modern bird’s nest fern, Asplenium nidus. The venation is not cordaitalean-like, but the leaves are long and tongue shaped and rather stiff. Many leaves are perfectly smooth. But others have small surface undulations.
Where such mildly undulatory leaves to be flattened, some distortion could occur. This might depend on how long they were macerated in water, wherein bacterial action might soften them up a bit. I have seen cordaitalean leaves, as I am sure you and many of your colleagues have, that are so macerated the veins are splayed out and must have been floating freely in the water prior to burial. So, there is probably an optimal amount of maceration that would preserve various features, from none to too much.
So, there is a working hypothesis anyway. There are other possible explanations, or course. The rock does not appear to be metamorphosed, at least not in a way where there are lineations that line up with the undulations in the leaves. Neither do there appear to be other fossils underlying the leaves, which might have impressed themselves on the cordaitalean leaf surface under compression.
I've sent him a note thanking him. Keep finding more great material for us to look at and wonder about!
Regards, Chris

Hi Chris

the maceration hypothesis is confirmed by these samples ( collection Didier Rastel ,one of my field trip friend ) same outcrop. Note the presence of Pyrite who gives a nice contrast . No deformation affects the shale .

Best regards

Bruno

post-967-0-62179500-1454525045_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Hi Bruno.... Some great specimens there... I look forward to seeing more....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Calamites multiramis Weiss

attachicon.gifIMG_35621.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_35601.jpg

This is quite wonderful :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Chris

the maceration hypothesis is confirmed by these samples ( collection Didier Rastel ,one of my field trip friend ) same outcrop. Note the presence of Pyrite who gives a nice contrast . No deformation affects the shale .

Best regards

Bruno

attachicon.gifvol_9111.jpg

Wow, isnt that spectacular! Regards, Chris

Quote of my friend Didier " Here is a transversally folded tip Cordaitalean leaf. No other fold visible. It strengthens the hypothesis of leaf changes before fossilization." Same outcrop .

post-967-0-35734800-1454951473_thumb.jpg

Quote of my friend Didier " Here is a transversally folded tip Cordaitalean leaf. No other fold visible. It strengthens the hypothesis of leaf changes before fossilization." Same outcrop.

That's what I call impressive evidence! Beautiful specimen.

Quote of my friend Didier " Here is a transversally folded tip Cordaitalean leaf. No other fold visible. It strengthens the hypothesis of leaf changes before fossilization." Same outcrop .

attachicon.gifvol_9410.jpg

Yes, that is a very nice specimen! Regards, Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The left sample shows the outer bark of Calamites multiramis Weiss , the phyllotaxy is very similar to that one perceives to the internal compression mold ( the right side sample )

Best regards

Bruno

post-967-0-09237600-1455794423_thumb.jpg post-967-0-91540200-1455794443_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

• 1 month later...