My Jurassic Park: Hell Creek/lance Theropods

Troodon

Any Rexperts out there please........

When fishing for Tyrannosaurus teeth on the market what I notice a lot, more than in other theropod teeth, is the different classifications they seem to be sold as.

You've got your Maxilla teeth, premax, dentary teeth, point teeth, back teeth etc. I can guess at the out the locations in the jaw easily enough but what should I be looking for in terms of the different structure and size for these and any other category of T-rex tooth out there? Are certain type teeth considered more desirable and valuable than others or does it all just come down to size?

It's your own personal choice, what you like in shape and size. Typically pre-maxillary teeth are the least desired and the price is not has steep. Dentary teeth are big, fat and shout Rex are the most desired with the highest price. I like posterior teeth because of the shape. So its whatever pleases your tastes and wallet.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite also. In reading your intro see that you collect Hell Creek fossils. Lots of very cool material comes from that locality, good choice.

This jaw was at the Tucson show. Teeth have been placed and a bit of resto to the bones around the maxilla, very interesting

post-10935-0-09019200-1455668135_thumb.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 1

My favorite also. In reading your intro see that you collect Hell Creek fossils. Lots of very cool material comes from that locality, good choice.

This jaw was at the Tucson show. Teeth have been placed and a bit of resto to the bones around the maxilla, very interesting

attachicon.gifpost-10935-0-52439600-1454276408.jpg

Yes! Most of my fossils are from Hell Creek. I collect a little at a time, as some specimens can be rather pricey. I think we purchase some specimens from the same seller in Powder River County, MT. :). That is a beautiful maxilla! As much as I would love to add something like that to my collection, it would be out of reach financially, I'm afraid. I was able to purchase a nice Tyrannosaurus rex vertebra from someone who lives here in PA that attended the Tucson show, but I have to finish paying for it first. (I'm halfway there). I'll post some pics of my collection as soon as I can take some decent photos. Where can I find "Osteology of Tyrannosaurus rex" by Christopher Brochu? I'd love to read it. :).

Oh, that person might it be Brian, if so I saw the vert. It's small fossil world. :) I've gone collecting at the ranch that sells the Hell Creek material on eBay and have bought a few from them. Any questions send me a PM.

That publication is available from the SVP website it's Memoir Series No 7. You should be able to buy it on line but I've always wound up calling. It looks at the bones found of Sue, great illustrations

...Where can I find "Osteology of Tyrannosaurus rex" by Christopher Brochu? I'd love to read it. :).

Please send me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to send it for you. :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

A few of new items that I have yet to post in this section.

A very large hand claw from a Nanotyrannus

post-10935-0-64714400-1456169819_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-27401300-1456169815_thumb.jpg

A Nanotyrannus Tooth

post-10935-0-17229600-1456169886_thumb.jpg

I believe this is a Nanotyrannus but cannot be certain.

post-10935-0-73758500-1456169874_thumb.jpg

My smallest T- rex teeth a pair of infant teeth

post-10935-0-72467800-1456169951_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

It's your own personal choice, what you like in shape and size. Typically pre-maxillary teeth are the least desired and the price is not has steep. Dentary teeth are big, fat and shout Rex are the most desired with the highest price. I like posterior teeth because of the shape. So its whatever pleases your tastes and wallet.

My favorite teeth have always been pre-maxillary teeth. Like you it's because of the shape. I know I'm in the minority though because like you said, pre-maxillary teeth don't command the same price as the other tooth positions.

A few of new items that I have yet to post in this section.

A very large hand claw from a Nanotyrannus

attachicon.gifNanoHand -D72AK.jpgattachicon.gifNanoHand2 -D72AK.jpg

A Nanotyrannus Tooth

attachicon.gifNanotooth4.jpg

I believe this is a Nanotyrannus but cannot be certain.

attachicon.gifTyrannoTooth1.jpg

My smallest T- rex teeth a pair of infant teeth

attachicon.gifRextoothInfant.jpg

Your 1" Nano tooth looks very robust from the picture. Are you sure this isn't a juvenile rex tooth? As I stated earlier my favorite teeth are pre-maxillary teeth and that's what your second Nano tooth appears to be. Very large denticles on that tooth.

The base is very rectangular but I agree it's a bit plump. Matches the teeth I have in my maxilla. Serrations look deceptively large because they are very crisp with no wear. I'll take a closer look at serrations with a scope, super tooth either way. Recall what I said in my "how to ID post" there are tweener teeth that can go either way.

Premax teeth are nice more interesting than the blade teeth.

At first glance, I thought that was a juvenile Rex tooth too

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thanks for your comments guys you make a good point. I took a better look this morning and have not gotten any closer to an different ID so must relabel it Tyrannosaurid indet. It has features of both, most apparent is that the side your looking at is plump but the other side is not as prevalent but the shape of the crown is more rex like. The cross section is rectangular and the serrations under a scope look more like Nano long and thin. What I found interesting is that the mesial serrations only go down about a centimeter which leads me to believe it's a posterior tooth possibly maxillary. Another mystery but it's a beautiful tooth.

• 1 year later...

Had a bucket of matrix from one of my collecting sites  and wow look at what I pull out my smallest tyrannosaurid tooth.  I first thought it was a dromaeosaurid but under a high powered microscope you can easily see the chisel serrations typical of tyrannosaurid.  My guess is probably a Nanotyrannus simply because its compressed but it could be a maxillary Rex and who knows what they look like in this size.    Very nice micro tooth from a very cool dinosaur

58dc184abcd3a_ToothMicroD133U.thumb.jpg.b894bb19964b73670f7fda84fed86642.jpg   

Premaxillary of a Tyrannosaurus rex found this past fall in South Dakota

Tooth7A.thumb.jpg.7f9eba6d4b995c6c364093ef23ca7a7a.jpgTooth7B.thumb.jpg.89eb64b464b08e4b5c1d396a9c8444a5.jpgTooth7C.thumb.jpg.ad4403da3d9bf6db1c12192ecaaa4a2e.jpg

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

Awesome teeth, Troodon!  I love that mini tooth!  I wonder how many of those I missed while digging?   

2 hours ago, Susan from PA said:

Awesome teeth, Troodon!  I love that mini tooth!  I wonder how many of those I missed while digging?   

That is a normal occurrence when collecting at a channel.   There is no way to see tiny items and lots are discarded.  Reminds me when I was digging in a bone bed in very clay type material.  I threw a softball size clump behind me.  One of my buddies just happened to be there, the clump split open and large beautiful Nanotyrannus tooth was there.  All large clumps since then are checked.  

Thanks for everyone's comments and @ynot will do my best to keep them current.

• I found this Informative 1

I've never seen such a large premax before!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

12 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

I've never seen such a large premax before!

Did you see the ones in my first page they are much larger.    6" fully rooted and a giant almost 3" "crown

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Did you the ones in my first page they are much larger 

Good gracious, just looked again. Lemme amend it to: I've never seen such a large collection of giant premax before :ighappy:

• 8 months later...

How small can T. rex teeth get will here are two of my smallest.  These also very fat relative to size. 

Trex1.thumb.jpg.c0bfe91fed3ab852ac44f7be4ca7e81c.jpgTrex2.thumb.jpg.802ef3c2681ca38c31da4d5512e63fb1.jpg

A tooth I've had in my collection for a while and believe its cf. Richardeostesia gilmorei   

Richardo1.thumb.jpg.48db1b4bcef53656e9577f541473335e.jpg

Serrations photos of above

Mesial with serration density

Richardo1a.jpg.2df048263b1b81b4e53043ef0de5eea9.jpg

Distal with Serration Density

Richardo1b.jpg.b4f800e3d2d892466243158a0d486930.jpg

Updated Photo of this Rex digit.

5a37a83e1eac9_TrexP1A.thumb.jpg.4169dc637e0b3642ebffc2f1f1430d35.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Are those the smallest known T-Rex teeth?