My Jurassic Park: Hell Creek/lance Theropods

Troodon

5 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Are those the smallest known T-Rex teeth?

No idea but I will say this they are much harder to collect than a big one looking at you saying take me home.  

10 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Are they from a juvi rex? If so how do they compare in robustness and serration count to a nano of similar size?

They may to be from an infant Tyranno or a even germ tooth just developing no clue.  Have not seen a Nano that size but it's fatness and shape says Rex.  I did a study of my Rex and Nano teeth and the smaller the tooth became the density of the serrations became more similiar.

3 hours ago, StevenJDennis said:

wow those rex are tiny!  very nice. :dinothumb:

Thanks 

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

They may to be from an infant Tyranno or a even germ tooth just developing no clue.  Have not seen a Nano that size but it's fatness and shape says Rex.  I did a study of my Rex and Nano teeth and the smaller the tooth became the density of the serrations became more similiar.

Maybe send me a dinky rex and I’ll peer review against my nanos :D

• I found this Informative 1

Spoke to quick.   Rummaged through some teeth and found these two. 

The denticles match that of a Tyrannosaurid and this tooth compression on the tooth leads me to believe its a Nano. 

NanotoothB.thumb.jpg.3e99e73fa16effc6a9d5b2647b5e52c8.jpg

Denticles under a scope say Tyrannosaurid.  I think its a Nano but something this small ?  Now this is a small Tyrannosaurid Tooth.

NanotoothB1.thumb.jpg.21512c4289a60fab0eb093cf42138619.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

On 19/12/2017 at 7:52 PM, Troodon said:

I did a study of my Rex and Nano teeth and the smaller the tooth became the density of the serrations became more similiar.

Interesting. I thought the serration count was one of the arguments that was used to differentiate twixt the two by the camp that say nano is a different tyrannosaur? That was why I asked. 

It it would be interesting if everyone here could a serration count v size of tooth that is rex and nano. But I guess you’ve got more than everyone else put together looking at these threads of yours!

3 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Interesting. I thought the serration count was one of the arguments that was used to differentiate twixt the two by the camp that say nano is a different tyrannosaur? That was why I asked. 

It it would be interesting if everyone here could a serration count v size of tooth that is rex and nano. But I guess you’ve got more than everyone else put together looking at these threads of yours!

Well that's the typical understanding but the problem is that everyone uses serrations counts of jumbo teeth which are less dense.  However If you compare equivalent size Nano and Rex teeth the difference may or may not be significant.  I've seen rex teeth with fine serrations.  A better way to differentiate between the two is to look at the other physical features as well as serrations.  Identification of isolated teeth is very problematic.

• I found this Informative 2

On 21/12/2017 at 12:56 AM, Troodon said:

A better way to differentiate between the two is to look at the other physical features as well as serrations.

The fused skull bones are a compelling argument imho. What other physical features are there? 

16 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

The fused skull bones are a compelling argument imho. What other physical features are there? 

I meant with teeth, Rex 's depending on position are not compressed and oval, their tip is rounded/bulbous with serrations continuing from one carina to the other.  Nano's are typically compressed with a pointed tip.  Variations exist and some are difficult to call.

• 3 months later...

How am I just now coming across this?!?!? Amazing teeth and add me to the list if you ever think of getting rid of one. 

11 hours ago, Woopaul5 said:

How am I just now coming across this?!?!? Amazing teeth and add me to the list if you ever think of getting rid of one. 

Ditto!

incredible teeth

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2017 at 9:59 AM, LordTrilobite said:

Very nice pieces.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:53 AM, Woopaul5 said:

These are my children how can you part with family :D

On 4/6/2018 at 12:19 PM, paulyb135 said:

Ditto!

incredible teeth

Sorry missed your responses thank you  very much

I was thrilled to see this tooth arrived today from my preparer.  From my last Summer dig it it took forever to get on the to-do list but we'll worth the wait.  The enamel on one side had collapsed into the tooth and bottom section by the root had broken off.  It's 5" long and as they say a real plug.  The base is 5" in circumference. 

Hell Creek Formation, Powder River County, Montana

20180511_121940.thumb.jpg.8a5bacddc7ada235961d4145c0875d08.jpg20180511_121858.thumb.jpg.34a952f1b1fa71913b8d139b090881d3.jpg20180511_121920.thumb.jpg.fb7fbf41191ff67a18018b35e778bf1f.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Holy molly macaroni. That tooth is huge! You could one day mistake it for a banana, so watch out :P 

Most impressive. 

I think anybody would be thrilled with that arriving in the post, from the prepper or otherwise. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What a handsome beast indeed!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Prepared lovely , incredible job especially going by you description.  What a monster of a tooth.

:wub: :wub: :wub: I had to add three in love faces because one is not enough to cut the mustard . :D

Wow what an amazing tooth, and to have found that yourself is something else too. Also small point to note is that an abscess scar near the tip?