North Sulphur River - 9-27-15 - Cephalopod Central!

DinoMike

Nice report, and neat finds!

Thanks for posting your trip.

Regards,

You're welcome! I was so amazed by the outcome of this trip! At first I wasn't finding anything, and thought my tip had been WAY out of date & the area was picked clean of cephalopods... then I changed my search strategy & they started popping up everywhere!

Good for you, Mike!

It's amazing how a slight change to your methods can open up the path to finding great things. :)

Always worth it, in my opinion, to change things up now and then.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice report and finds, Mike. ;) Sounds like it was a good learning experience, too, and those sometimes make the best trips.

I'm pretty sure your "mystery" item is just a piece of calcite and matrix. You can find examples like that along small faults in the formation. They can often form that 'ribbed' characteristic with entrained clay and shale.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You sure got into the red-beds!

I must be hungry, 'cause this looks like a little lamb chop

post-423-0-70049000-1443452456_thumb.jpg

;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice finds, the Red Beds always seem to produce. Does anyone know what caused the mass die off that occured in the Red Beds and what the source of the red materal is???

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Usually, the red color is from ferric oxides. The strongest currently accepted theories on isolated red beds are that it is a post-depositional diagenetic phenonmion, and probably does not record anything about the environmnet when the sediment was actually laid down.

I used to wonder whether there was a relationship between red beds and die offs, but it appears there is no connection.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!