Rolling Through Germany

Uncle Siphuncle

Our final fossil stop was Tongrube at Buttenheim, birth place of Levi Strauss. My wife was ill when I visited Buttenheim on our 2011 trip to the Bayern Country, and jealous of my finds. This time around it was a family outing, and in the end I had trouble pulling them away. We were excited to once again join forces with our friend Wolfgang Dietz, with whom we had the pleasure of collecting with a couple times in 2011.

Our finds were limited to Pleuroceras spinatum ammonites, Jurassic Pliensbachian in age if I'm not mistaken. We all made good finds, and the young squire Weston represented the Woehr clan well by producing the only Amonitenfriedhof (ammonite graveyard) of the day.

post-22-0-20756900-1445471150_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-74124700-1445471150_thumb.jpg

The author's Pleuroceras finds "in the raw"

post-22-0-57364900-1445471246_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-98901800-1445471245_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-29917200-1445471297_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

More of our family take of Pleuroceras

post-22-0-74460300-1445471450_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-02144600-1445471452_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-72790900-1445471453_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

post-22-0-26507300-1445471551_thumb.jpg

One more shot of one of Weston's Pleuroceras

post-22-0-41759700-1445471640_thumb.jpg

The nearby hamlet of Woehr, population 6

Grüße,

Hi Dan. Sorry we had to miss each other this time around, but it's nice to see that you and yours have had a successful cultural and fossily trip! Did you try some of the great franconian bock beer while you were there? I really miss it over here in Swabia. The correct spelling for your vehicular pleasure is, by the way, "Fahrvergnügen" :) Glad you got to know some more of my Steinkern friends. They really are a great bunch of guys and gals.

That bivalve in post #6 looks like a Spondylus dutempleanus. Maybe if you carefully abrade under it you'll discover its holdfast like on these here if you happen to have the right valve there:

attachicon.gifL217a.2.jpgattachicon.gifL273b.2.jpg

The little echinoid in post #10 may be Galerites vulgaris. That's also a nice Coeloptychium that Gerrit-Jan gave to you! And those ceratites are great!

Mistelgau is sort of a gray area still until this gets cleared up about the biotope, so collectors still go in and nobody seems to bother them.

Now I'm curious to see what you've still got to show.

Freund Roger. We hope to see you again next round, and I suspect that possibility will be logistically more feasible considering that we'd like to visit Dinkelsbuehl, Trier, Heidelberg, Schloss Neuschwanstein, Interlochen, and Wien. Rumor has it there may be some fossil sites on the western end of that route.

And by the way, good thing I don't fancy myself winning any German spelling bees!

Grüße,

i live in germany and i was never in hannover for fossil collecting :blink:

Thanks for this great incentive to visit this fossil location :D

Belemniten

There are 3 major collecting quarries that I've heard about in the Hannover area including this one. Some of the German fossil clubs make regular trips to these quarries, and that is the easiest way in. I arranged a trip for about 10 people well in advance, and I'm glad to have finally visited the site, despite the sub optimal collecting conditions.

Grüße,

It's always a great feeling when the son finds the best fossils of the day, had a good teacher. Brought 75 pounds to Europe looks like you will be leaving with more. Have a great holiday.

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Epilogue: Gift and Trade Fossils

Some of the Jurassic fossils that changed hands were simply too beautiful to not show. Some of these came from temporary sites, some from still active sites that I visited in 2011, others from sites I still haven't made it to.

post-22-0-12637400-1445472312_thumb.jpg

Orthosphinctes or Ataxioceras from Graefenberg

post-22-0-43885800-1445472313_thumb.jpg

Orthosphinctes (?) from Druegendorf

post-22-0-54594200-1445472314_thumb.jpg

Pleuroceras "Amonitenfriedhof" from Buttenheim

post-22-0-52293600-1445472315_thumb.jpg

Platypleuroceras brevispina from Bad Oeynhausen

Grüße,

post-22-0-76453900-1445472990_thumb.jpg

Parkinsonia from Sengenthal

post-22-0-09113700-1445472992_thumb.jpg

Hemipnuestes and Echinocorys echinoids from the Maastrichtian near the Dutch/Belgian border

And thus concludes this photo essay.

Grüße,

Hi,

Marvelous travel in Germany with your family ! You have found a lot of very nice fossils and the cultural visit is very interesting. Weston grew up well and he seems to like always so much the fossil hunting. I hope that one day our steps will cross.

Thanks for this report and these pics. Greet your wife and your son from me.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Freund Roger. We hope to see you again next round, and I suspect that possibility will be logistically more feasible considering that we'd like to visit Dinkelsbuehl, Trier, Heidelberg, Schloss Neuschwanstein, Interlochen, and Wien. Rumor has it there may be some fossil sites on the western end of that route.

And by the way, good thing I don't fancy myself winning any German spelling bees!

Sure would be nice, since as long as Canada's first on my agenda, Texas has to stay on the back burner. Your planned itinerary sounds good. I'll see to it that there are still some pickins at those sites. And don't worry about spelling bees so long as you get the phonetics right. Deutsche Sprache, schwere Sprache. I'm sure you've read Mark Twain's "The Awful German Language", but if not, I highly recommend it for a good laugh or two.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Dan,

Thanks for another whirlwind tour of Germany.

As usual, great report and even greater finds and gifts.

(Can't believe Weston looks so grown up - where does the time go?)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great report Uncle :goodjob: I love the fossils you found there. I might consider to make a litle trip to Germany, It is not to far away for me.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Thanks Dan. It was like reading one of your old reports, invoking feelings of amazement, joy, jealousy, and bitter envy!

Thanks for sharing.

Ahhh yes, the old reports....fun in their time. With the crushing responsibilities of work and home, the time I can allocate to paleo goes more into the field these days, and less into reporting. I opportunistically scan the horizon for any slivers of time that may afford a clean getaway! Edited by Uncle Siphuncle

Grüße,

It's always a great feeling when the son finds the best fossils of the day, had a good teacher. Brought 75 pounds to Europe looks like you will be leaving with more. Have a great holiday.

Tom

Tom

The lad sometimes has to be coaxed or bribed into the field. Perhaps I burned him out as a youngster. But the fact of the matter is that once in the field, he quite often outperforms me, a situation we both enjoy. Many of his finds get prime display space at the house. While his passion for fossils may be a bit more dormant than mine at the moment, when he reaches adulthood, I'm certain that he'll look back at our outdoor adventures as quality time that serve and sustain him when reflecting on his formative years....more so than all the video games. However, I do see a chance for his paleo involvement to flourish......if he happens to meet a girl in the years to come that has an interest in fossils, he'll suddenly be "the exalted expert".

Back to our trip. For the record, I strived to come home with lighter suitcases than I arrived with, and managed to do so by being selective as well as whacking down matrix as much as possible. Our 2011 trip was a bit more involved. After visiting 13 quarries in 15 days, we brought home over 1000 fossils and had to buy an extra trunk just to get stuff home!

Grüße,

Hi,

Marvelous travel in Germany with your family ! You have found a lot of very nice fossils and the cultural visit is very interesting. Weston grew up well and he seems to like always so much the fossil hunting. I hope that one day our steps will cross.

Thanks for this report and these pics. Greet your wife and your son from me.

Coco

Absolutely! Brett and I have talked for years now about hanging out with Coco. And France has such an abundance and diversity of beautiful fossils, we look forward to returning as soon as we can.

Grüße,

Thanks for taking the time U.S.

Your field reports are always top notch and enjoyable.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Hey Dan, thanks for the update on your latest adventures-congrats on the finds! Glad to see you are able to get out with the family. The wife here keeps saying she'll only go out hunting if we find dinosaur material locally....she's really quite the comedian.

Regards, Chris

Great report, Dan. I wish I did some hunting when I was traveling Europe. Maybe some day.

This is one big reason why I love this forum. Being able to make friends and connections from around the World with a shared interest is priceless.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Love the pyritized ammonites and the plate of belmenites. Nice work...if you can get it! Thanks for sharing.