Dremel Tool

Mark89

Dremels are very helpful, versatile tools. There are many other options for fossil prep, that (I believe) are better suited in many circumstances.

I have used a Dremel with polishing compound and a cloth wheel to polish amber. It works great.

I have used a Dremel and grinding stone to remove excess matrix. It throws tons of dust and is not precise enough to use close to the fossil. The many available configurations of stones make the Dremel useful for smoothing matrix for a nice "finished" look for a prep.

Some Forum members have reported prep applications using a wire brush. It is hoped someone may give an experienced account of this.

Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree. I use many assorted tools, including a Dremel and a Ryobi with the long 'dentist type' attachment. Use them for polishing amber and the wire wheel attachment for polishing assorted fossils. Recently used the wire wheel for smoothing out the matrix around some Utah trilobite plates. Creates a ton of dust, does a great job. Plus, all those attachments can be used for a million other projects besides fossils. Snolly is right, and a mask/respirator should be worn to protect yourself. Have fun!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Hi I have used a Dremil from the first time I started prepping. The assortment of fittings are excellent, before you get one though have a look at the new Dremil motor with a foot pedal to control it, it has a flexible lead directly from the motor, another tip is do away with the collet system, Dremil do a quick release chuck that takes all sizes of the shanks thus making it very easy to change tools.

I also use a Dremil engraving tool and it works very well on softer matrix.

But you must use some sort of extraction unit for the dust, I made one from a cheep vacuum cleaner and an enclosure made from ply wood and Perspex.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Other than gluing,I don't prep fossils.

However, agree with CH above... my Dremel is useful for a dozen other projects here and there....in the last 60 days I used mine carving the pumpkin, cutting off a bolt, stripping paint, cutting styrofoam, polishing my shoes. etc. Unlike a lot of other tools, I use it a lot. The point being, even if you don't find it best for prepping fossils, it won't sit in a drawer unused.

Edited by Ridgehiker

I use mine mainly for sharpening my prep tools. A diamond wheel will sharpen carbide trips from any of the airscribes available. Some folks use a Dremel to remove matrix. I don't see how you can do that all the way to the fossil without scarring the fossil in most cases.

I've tried using a dremel and the issue I ran into is control near a bone, it was difficult. I would not recommended it. My air tool is 1000% better and much more efficient. The other posts cited lots of great uses for one.

My first power preparation tool was a dremel. I quickly found it was relatively worthless to me. Air scribes and micro abrasives are far more useful and provide much better results IMHO.

I use it exclusively for my preps ( live in a flat , no opportunity for bigs , noisy, large tools ) , with the dentist extension and a large set of extensions (some of them used dentists ones ) . Mostly for cephs , rarely for bones . It takes some times to get the required skils ,but you can get very accurate and clean all the matrix with very very few marks .

Prepping is long ( probably much more than air tools ) but you have to progress with what you have !

Edited by taj
  • I found this Informative 1

I use it exclusively for my preps ( live in a flat , no opportunity for bigs , noisy, large tools ) , with the dentist extension and a large set of extensions (some of them used dentists ones ) . Mostly for cephs , rarely for bones . It takes some times to get the required skils ,but you can get very accurate and clean all the matrix with very very few marks .

Prepping is long ( probably much more than air tools ) but you have to progress with what you have !

I didn't start using pneumatic tools until I moved into my first house and was free to make a bunch of noise.

Without divulging too much information, I could not get crab concretions' matrix smooth. I wanted that wet sand appearance around the crab and the Dremel provides that look now. Getting the desired look with other tools damaged the fossil. The same tool does pretty good in removing calcite from some of the crab pieces, especially the carapace.

Everything depends on the medium you're working and the preparer. The Dremel will not prep my crab concretions alone, but it does play a crucial role in my prep process. Having only one type of tool would never let me enjoy fossils. One size chisel only? One air tool only?

I didn't have any tools except a hammer and chisel decades ago when I first started. I pulverized thousands of concretions and look back and wonder how many rare pieces I destroyed. :o The more tools, the better. ;)

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I used to find echinoids in some very hard rock. It was impossible to remove the rock with an airscribe and not ruin the specimen. Then I used a dremel with some different attachments and WaaaLaaa!!!

RB

post-171-0-66022100-1446908763_thumb.jpg

I used to find echinoids in some very hard rock. It was impossible to remove the rock with an airscribe and not ruin the specimen. Then I used a dremel with some different attachments and WaaaLaaa!!!

RB

What Dremel attachment did you use to get that nice polish?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hey Snolly. After all the sanding, both the aluminum oxide and then onto wet/dry by hand down to 600 grit, I would use a small buffing wheel with stainless steel polish.

RB

Hey RB, that's a nice finish on that piece. Didn't know that could hols such a polishing. Looks like polished marble or granite. Very nice.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Hey Snolly. After all the sanding, both the aluminum oxide and then onto wet/dry by hand down to 600 grit, I would use a small buffing wheel with stainless steel polish.

RB

Thanks for the how-to. It looks very nice. I'm encouraged to try that type of prep.

RB

Im sold... :envy:

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

RB

RJB,

Is that an Scutellaster interlineatum from the Merced Formation near San Francisco? I have one that has hard matrix that needs to be prepped.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi I have always used wet and dry and finished with Aluminium Oxide and a piece of chamois leather

I start at 180 grit and then 240 - 400 - 800 - 1000 - 1200 - 1500.

Always gives good results.

Regards

Mike

post-15295-0-04718300-1447167283_thumb.png

Looks good Mike, nice finish on that piece.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Nice job, Mike!

Hope you don't mind...

I took the liberty of lightening your picture to show off how beautiful it is.

post-2806-0-72690100-1447174135_thumb.pn

Beautiful!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me