Working on my very first ammonite!

Fossil Claw

I got this ammonite as part of a trade with Twinlukers.

Picture one is as it arrived.

8 inch by 6 inch Texas ammonite.

post-16815-0-83279900-1449539295_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossil Claw

First I worked it with a manual hand scribe similar to an ice pick. Then cleaned it with dish soap and an battery powered scruber.

post-16815-0-63217300-1449539405_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossil Claw

Here is after about 90 minutes with careful airscribe work.

I will post more as I make more progress.

Twinlukers..I think this will be a real nice one if I don't mess it up!

post-16815-0-06833300-1449539533_thumb.jpg

That's going to be a nice one. Cross your fingers that the inner whorls are complete.

Thanks. Having never done one of these, it never occurred to me that the whorl might not be complete!

Looking good, only advice I would give is take your time, it can be very tempting to rush the last part of the prep and then be disappointed with the end result. (I did this with my 1st ammonite prep)

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Regards

Mike

Thanks. Having never done one of these, it never occurred to me that the whorl might not be complete!

Dan's right. This looks like a Mortoniceras (or one of the million genera that are so similar). They often have some portion, or all, of the inner whorls not preserved.

That's going to be a nice one. Cross your fingers that the inner whorls are complete.

Ugh. Bad news you called it. No evidence of inner whorls.

post-16815-0-05960100-1449622615_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossil Claw

A bit disappointed.anyone ever continue without the whorls and still have something in the end that looks good?

A picture for inspiration would help as I think I give up on the one.

Lesson learned. Next time dig down to the inner whorls before putting too much work into exposing the outer whorls.

Edited by Fossil Claw

It is what it is, which is a fossil ammonite; reflect on how cool that is!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A bit disappointed.anyone ever continue without the whorls and still have something in the end that looks good?

A picture for inspiration would help as I think I give up on the one.

Lesson learned. Next time dig down to the inner whorls before putting too much work into exposing the outer whorls.

Have you had a look at the reverse side? Sometimes, the inner whorls are crushed on these specimens and prepping the reverse side shows them. I ran into that on a recent prep. On one side, the whorls disappeared under a few pounds of matrix. I flipped it over and started on the other side and BINGO, there they were.

Don't dig through matrix to expose a fossil; you'll chip right through the specimen and not know it. Preparation is a roll of the dice sometimes. Just consider it good practice.

Have you had a look at the reverse side? Sometimes, the inner whorls are crushed on these specimens and prepping the reverse side shows them. I ran into that on a recent prep. On one side, the whorls disappeared under a few pounds of matrix. I flipped it over and started on the other side and BINGO, there they were.

Don't dig through matrix to expose a fossil; you'll chip right through the specimen and not know it. Preparation is a roll of the dice sometimes. Just consider it good practice.

By dig down I meant carefully prep following the outside whurl down to where the inner whurl should be prior to prepping the outside. I would never randomly dig down.

The other side looks less promising for preserved inner whurls.

Thank you for the tips.

post-16815-0-14893000-1449673537_thumb.jpg

Looks like you're out of luck on this one.

Yup. Probably not worth the trouble to prep out since it is missing the inner whurls.

At least I got some really good experience and I now know I can at least handle the scribe work. I almost didn't even try for fear of messing it up.

Edited by Fossil Claw

Dan or Kris,

Are there any finishing technics worth trying and practicing? It may not be the display piece I was hoping it would be when it was done but it might as well serve me well in practicing new technics I have not done before.

Hey FossilClaw, fossils not cooperating seems to be the norm, unfortunately. You can always carve the last whorls? Just a thought. Good luck

RB

Hey FossilClaw, fossils not cooperating seems to be the norm, unfortunately. You can always carve the last whorls? Just a thought. Good luckRB

By carve do you mean create fake whurls?

I think I would rather just take off the rock and make the real out whurl look good.

Looks like you're out of luck on this one.

Lemonade out of lemons. I decided to let the lack of in whurls free me from my fear of trying sanding and finishing techniques.

I origanly planned not not do the sanding finish worried I'd mess it up an ruin the fossil. Few from that worry I set out to try some new things.

Pic with flash.

post-16815-0-36129400-1449881603_thumb.jpg

Dan, Mike and Ron I asume you had some of the same worries, fears and disappointments when learning?

I feel ready to tackle another one. And will use this one to try more techniques

Edited by Fossil Claw

The world of fossil preparation has a limitless supply of worries, fears and disappointments. No matter how good one gets, the challenges (and the stakes) keep going up, but so do the rewards. Ain't it great! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!