Working on my very first ammonite!

Fossil Claw

The world of fossil preparation has a limitless supply of worries, fears and disappointments. No matter how good one gets, the challenges (and the stakes) keep going up, but so do the rewards. Ain't it great! :)

Yes but some how less stressful than my real job. And it is relaxing.

I think jgcox has gotten me hooked.

Yeah, he's a carrier... :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As was once quoted "if at first you don't succeed try & try again" OR "practice makes perfect"

Use either one Bothe work well when fossil prepping, it will get easier as you do more and more and when you have prepped one that you look at and think wow I prepped that you know you have achieved your goal.

Keep going

Regards

Mike

I think you did a great job with what you had, it's all good experience for when you try the next fossil. I'd love to learn how to prep these, I'll be watching and hopefully learning from your efforts.

I think you did a great job with what you had, it's all good experience for when you try the next fossil. I'd love to learn how to prep these, I'll be watching and hopefully learning from your efforts.

The best way to learn is by doing. Thankfully, marine fossils are pretty abundant do destroying a few dozen while learning the tricks isn't a big deal. Start wit a hammer and some small chisels to chip away the matrix. Soapy water is pretty safe for the majority of fossils and a lot can be done with it and a brush. You can start on the cheap and progress to more expensive equipment as your addiction grows... Trust me, it will happen. :D

• I found this Informative 1

The best way to learn is by doing. Thankfully, marine fossils are pretty abundant do destroying a few dozen while learning the tricks isn't a big deal. Start wit a hammer and some small chisels to chip away the matrix. Soapy water is pretty safe for the majority of fossils and a lot can be done with it and a brush. You can start on the cheap and progress to more expensive equipment as your addiction grows... Trust me, it will happen. :D

Amonites seem cheap enough to learn on, I'm sure it will happen too! :D Thanks for your advice mate!