NSR 1/17

believerjoe

Made a follow up trip in hopes of achieving a little more, but had another bad outing. Bad in terms of achieving expectations that is! The weather was nice and there was searchable land mass. I do enjoy being out and searching for what sometimes can seem like the impossible. This trip was not a disaster as we found a good assortment of pieces, but nothing spectacular. Several enchodus jaws, some turtle pieces, a few shark teeth, three mosasaur tooth root/jaw sections, and two mosasaur vertebrae.

However, we did learn how to add some more enjoyment to the hunt. Got my son a rock tumbler for Christmas and so now he can also pick up some nicer rocks and petrified wood to turn into treasure. We had some that we run through and man they turned out nice. I m still not sure what we will do with them, but they are beautiful in their own way. Got another batch running now and that will keep him busy for a couple of weeks.

post-14723-0-34749300-1453208256_thumb.jpg

post-14723-0-21939900-1453208350_thumb.jpg

Edited by believerjoe

Even your bad outings on the north sulphur are better than my good ones. I'm always happy just to find one good piece out there

When you are going to be in the area, let me know. Location is very important. There is lots of competition there and there are things you can do to increase your odds. Most of it is timing and that is easiest when you live closer, but I still say that there is always something to be found there. I would be glad to show you around sometime.

Just a suggestion for the tumbled stones spread them about in your fossil displays and that way you have a double display.

Regards

Mike

I will see if I can post a photo later. They are always too big and I have to adjust them. I will also get a shot of the entire haul so you can see what all we typically find.

Made a follow up trip in hopes of achieving a little more, but had another bad outing. Bad in terms of achieving expectations that is! The weather was nice and there was searchable land mass. I do enjoy being out and searching for what sometimes can seem like the impossible. This trip was not a disaster as we found a good assortment of pieces, but nothing spectacular. Several enchodus jaws, some turtle pieces, a few shark teeth, three mosasaur tooth root/jaw sections, and two mosasaur vertebrae.

However, we did learn how to add some more enjoyment to the hunt. Got my son a rock tumbler for Christmas and so now he can also pick up some nicer rocks and petrified wood to turn into treasure. We had some that we run through and man they turned out nice. I m still not sure what we will do with them, but they are beautiful in their own way. Got another batch running now and that will keep him busy for a couple of weeks.

You will both enjoy the tumbler and wait to see what treasures will come out. I suggest the garage as a place for it, as they make a little noise that goes along with the process. The Pet. Wood looks kinda dull when you find it but will suprise you when it is finished. Photo is polished to the left and one piece as found on the right. Forgot, don't try polishing fossil bone, it goes in and nothing comes out, to soft.

Tom

post-3940-0-04367700-1453209868_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Some of that petrified wood that has been tumble polished might make nice necklace or bolo tie pendants. I've made earings from smaller matching chips. Super glue them onto a glass candle holder in a pattern or like a puzzle, put in a votive candle and sell them at yard sale or give them as gifts. The only limit is the creative vision.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

I always usually walk left at that spot you're at but didn't really know you could find good stuff to the right too! Nice finds :)

I guess there is stuff everywhere! With the river running how it does, there is not an inch of it that can't hold treasures. As far as where they are in the ground, I do not know. I am guessing anything is possible. We have been lucky enough to stumble over a mosasaur when I know people that have been looking for years and still haven't had it happen. Points out how much of this is done by pure accident by people that do not care about fossils. I went on a field trip where I fell in love with the thoughts of what might be. One thing I have noticed here is that people are very tight lipped about sites and even many people that are as angry as they can be about people learning about the NSR. I feel differently than most and will share anything I have learned. I find that most aren't dedicated to it, so they make a trip or two and then lose interest, much less be willing to pay attention to the river level and make every effort to get there when the time is right. I know that most people are out to find as much as they can and horde it away somewhere and I do not see the value in that. I will give away most of what I have found at school events, etc. and I keep one main display of different things to show what is there. I actually have an event coming up next month where everyone will get a vertebrae since we will be touring mosasaur stuff. I want to find more stuff to store in the drawers at SMU and might not ever do it, but will keep on looking.

That's a great attitude Joe. It's always more fun sharing these experiences with others and getting people started.

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

John, we should all get together sometime and share our experiences together. I have never joined the DPS because of the meetings being a little far away from me. But maybe we can organize an NSR gathering somehow and at least meet each other. I have been hoping to get together with Jarrod on a hunt, but so far we haven't had schedules align. I hunt weekends mostly. I work in Plano one day a week, but can easily go in more than that.

Wow!!! Nice and great conversation.. I want to get up their soon. It's on my

List of places to check out. But it's a bit of a drive. This weekend it's off to Austin and in search of more

Gastropods. Many be some bones as well. But I'm going to test out my GoPro I got for Christmas. My girl thought I should start filming my adventures because we do have fun..

Well I just wanted to say nice pictures. Keep it real and enjoy!!!

Wow!!! Nice and great conversation.. I want to get up their soon. It's on my

List of places to check out. But it's a bit of a drive. This weekend it's off to Austin and in search of more

Gastropods. Many be some bones as well. But I'm going to test out my GoPro I got for Christmas. My girl thought I should start filming my adventures because we do have fun..

Well I just wanted to say nice pictures. Keep it real and enjoy!!!

When you decide to make the drive, make it worth you while and check with somebody on here. I watched a guy one time drive 4 hours, then sit at Ladonia digging a 3 foot diameter hole hoping for a mosasaur tooth. The odds were against him! lol I hope that wasn't you. It was too late ion the day to take them somewhere where their odds would have increased.

I also remember showing a family how to better search for shark teeth there. I quickly located a broken one and gave it to them thinking I had done something, then they picked up what is still the nicest and largest tooth I have seen from there. So you never know. They thought I was some kind of superhero, but I really didn't think they would find anything! lol Takes a bit of patience.

Joe I totally agree. I enjoy showing people good spots and what to look for. After every rain new items appear anyway. Hopefully we all can meet up for a hunt soon. No telling what the three of us together will find. My friend found a swordfish tooth, Mosasaur tooth and numerous Enchodus teeth at NSR yesterday.