New Public Private Exhibit

I just thought I would share this project that a few of us have been working on. It is a public/private partnership with the Museum of ancient Life at Thanksgiving Point in Utah. Several of us got together with the museum and created a special exhibit that showcases real fossils from around the world and gives local museum-goers an opportunity to see fossils that they might not get to see anywhere else. All of the fossils are real and that is the extra bonus.

I have included a few pictures of my fossils, I will also include a small sampling of others, but not everything, as I hope many of you will take the opportunity to go see the exhibit.

Enjoy

post-2399-0-70833000-1453218018_thumb.jpg

post-2399-0-16948800-1453218028_thumb.jpg

post-2399-0-34116900-1453218036_thumb.jpg

post-2399-0-46161100-1453218041_thumb.jpg

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

This is great! :D ...and there's that horse! Looks like it found a nice home.

That was a brave soul that went fishing into the back side of that rock, too.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You and your friends have done a wonderful thing with this project, sort of an 'avocational in-reach' facilitating the museum's outreach. It must have been a lot of work!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You and your friends have done a wonderful thing with this project, sort of an 'avocational in-reach' facilitating the museum's outreach. It must have been a lot of work!

It is the result of a lot of good people coming together for a good cause.

www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

That is amazing! Well done :)

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Is this a permanent exhibit? Will it still be up come SVP in SLC in the fall?

We plan on keeping it going for several years. The fossils on display will change, based on new items we have, and it also helps keep things interesting.

www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Excellent!... this should be a program for more museums to get involved and rotate the fossils.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

That's fantastic Seth

I'd love to see more of this type of thing done to encourage closer working with amateurs, academics and institutes. It's a big thumbs up for me

by the way, what type of dinosaur is it?

I think that horse is amazing as well.

Nick

Thanks for sharing this, Seth. Looks like a great concerted action to benefit the public. Well done! That must have been a heck of a job mounting those fighting cats! Are all of the bones real?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks for sharing this, Seth. Looks like a great concerted action to benefit the public. Well done! That must have been a heck of a job mounting those fighting cats! Are all of the bones real?

Those cats are real. Brock Sisson did the mounting on those.

www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Those saber cats are awesome! Not only the finds, but the mount is fantastic!

Thanks for sharing, Seth.

Have you had a chance to open up your Green river croc?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

This is an awesome idea! I think more museums should do this. Not only would it benefit the museum since they would have a display; but it would also help the reputations of collectors.Thanks for sharing!

I like the revolving fossils idea. In my opinion, when I go to museums once is enough for a year or two. But with new fossils coming and going, a trip every few months is worth it.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Those are some awesome pieces! Good work to all involved :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!