Show Us Your Heartbreakers!

Phoenixflood

Found this 3" yesterday (or to be more exact rmull found it and gave me the honors of collecting it). Looks almost like a copper penny.

post-1313-1241970901_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

This is a partial pygidium of a trilobite. It is an un-described genus/specie. I have found 13 cephalons, a few hypostomes, and 3 partial pygidiums. One of these days it will be published.

The diagnostic characteristics are in the cephalon.

post-179-1241536937_thumb.jpg

Where this trilobites are from? Are they silurian or devonian? Looks that they belong to superfamily Lichoidea.

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

• 4 weeks later...

This Dechenella would've been beautiful if it didn't headbutt a rock when the quarry blasted.

post-1687-1244172429_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Collecting along the banks of the bay and river with all the crashing waves leads to lots of heartbreakers. This is my most recent one. It is my biggest Otodus ever at 2.5". I thought it was a piece of bone in the sand so I didn't even bother to take a ground shot. Imagine my suprize when I flicked it out to see this.

post-281-1247321580_thumb.jpg

I searched for more than an hour trying to find the missing piece but it's hard to say where the tide may have taken it. Maybe some other collector has it.

My only shark tooth I've ever collected was from the coast of California. Maybe three inches long (don't have it easily accessible at the moment, so no pictures). It was in a boulder, complete and perfect, but right at the waterline with a rising tide. My dad and I went to work hammering around it, trying to get it free. We'd almost got it when a wave hit us, coinciding with a hammer blow. BAM! The hammer went off-course and took a piece out of the side of the tooth. Ugh! We didn't realize it until the wave receded and had taken the piece out to sea, lost to us forever. My dad and I searched for a long time, but with the tide coming it, it was not to be. I still mourn its loss.

A stupid heartbreak moment is when I was out with the Museum of the Rockies at Egg Mountain. We were walking back from jacketing a nest to camp, single file. My friend was in front of me, I was second in line. As we walked along, we passed over a brown item. I thought to myself Oh, there's a dead leaf. My friend had thought the same thing (I found out later). The person behind me said, "Oh my god, a tooth!" Yeah, genius, there aren't any trees to make dead leaves in the badlands. It was a complete Albertosaurus tooth, with root.

I learned that day to look at everything twice, no matter what your first glance tells you.

• 2 years later...

I have afew broken teeth and things, but not really hearbreakers, because I bought them, and was pleased to settle for poorer quality for a cheaper price. So for me, more "I'll settle" than "hearbreaker".

Incomplete cast of an extremely large and well defined Hemirhodon Amplipyge trilobite from the Marjum Formation, UT shake%20head.gif

post-8812-0-72376500-1340478489_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a lot of heartbreaking half and 3/4th complete big megs, but this whale tooth took the cake. It was my first of this kind and I spent a good amount of time in the area trying to find the other half.

post-4422-0-77863500-1341493682_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-79105900-1341493688_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-06329700-1341493694_thumb.jpg

I have had a lot of heartbreaking half and 3/4th complete big megs, but this whale tooth took the cake. It was my first of this kind and I spent a good amount of time in the area trying to find the other half.

Argh! :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 years later...

While I didn't find this one myself, it certainly would have been a lot more impressive without the twisted skull!

post-15797-0-98329100-1406084803_thumb.jpg

I picked it up from Geological Enterprises around a year ago :)

Edited by ReeseF

This is like a car wreck !! I really don't want to look but just can't help myself.. It's just sooo painful when you have a great fossil that breaks or is broken !! (it breaks my heart) :-\

Edited by kurdelmb

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a number of Plesiosaur and ichthyosaur bones. Unfortunately the rest of the best has never been attached. Does that count? Haha

The alternate outcome would be a heart stopper!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

post-2676-0-33248100-1407783877_thumb.jpg

Found this 40 cm large (partial) frond as several loose blocks. The central one was missing and could not be found. I even went back the next day to look for it again, without success... Such a pity!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

• 8 months later...

Here's mine:

$_57.JPG

I had "mammoth tooth" on my ebay feed.

One morning I get an e-mail saying this tooth is for sale, $85 shipped, buy it now...

I furiously mouse over, and it was SOLD!!!

Later that morning, I can't get it out of my mind, and think--- wonder if the deal fell through???

Check it again... now available again!!!

I blister my fingers paying for it...

and... it never comes... the seller says it vanished in the mail and returns my $85. :(