March 2016 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

I'll add to the pile.

This is an example of feeding traces from different species of piercing-and-sucking insects from 300 mya.

Ichno fossil/pecopteris/feeding traces

Francis Creek Shale

Mazon Creek, IL

Late Carboniferous

post-14584-0-76010400-1459371741_thumb.jpg

Found March 12th.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I would like to submit my Gastropod and fossil wood combo. Cretaceous, Burlington County NJ. Took this to a museum, we are unsure of the relation between the gastropod and the fossil wood.

Found mid - March

post-11657-0-62198600-1459466190_thumb.jpg

post-11657-0-25383700-1459466205_thumb.jpg

Found yesterday, 3-28-2016. Peace river Bone valley(Hawthorne formation), business end of mammoth tusk(or mastodon) unsure at the moment. This picture was moments after it was found. I've already preserved it, and the final picture will follow. About 15 inches in length...

mastodon, me thinks -- read the last post on this thread,,http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/59211-mastodon-bones-tusk/, Great find. They usually break into little pieces unless you find them in a mud/sand mixture.

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

mastodon, me thinks -- read the last post on this thread,,http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/59211-mastodon-bones-tusk/, Great find. They usually break into little pieces unless you find them in a mud/sand mixture.

Yeah, I'm actually 90% certain it's mastodon! Which is actually a little cooler, in my opinion. The river was too high, and this was washed out with some rain, probably moments before. Right place and the right time. Beautiful color too! Super stoked!