Total newb vs ebay fish fossil kit.!

canheaton

Hey guys. I ordered two green river fish kits of ebay,the two kits are totally different sources, but offer basically the same thing." I've never preped a fossil before this I my experience with the first one. I learned a lot.

Anyone know a quick fix for Android pic size.? I really would like to post my pics for the newbs that want to do their first prep.I just want to share me experience.

Ok now I got it.sorry guys. I really am a newbie. Here's what the first ebay kit slab looked like. 9" x 7". 31$

post-13914-0-28927000-1457588005_thumb.jpg

The backbone was visible as a suttle raised hump,so I thought it would be no problem to scratch my way down to it with the tool that was provided. But the tool that was provided was to flexible and crappy.I went with a small sharp file.

post-13914-0-73368100-1457588869_thumb.jpg

I started off slowly scraping the raised area where the spine should be. To my amazement and horror, I found nothing. I started to think I scraped passed it into the infanit rock below. But then I saw it!

post-13914-0-34643600-1457589551_thumb.jpg

I was oh so happy to see that first vertebrae. I spent the next few hours working the file hard!...till my fingers hurt.

post-13914-0-96546300-1457590007_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Then I thought... Hmmmm. The fossil is deep. I'll try my dremel tool to get the bulk of the rock off. I have a diamond bit in it that look like this.

post-13914-0-14837700-1457590471_thumb.jpg

It worked amazing. It really sped up the time 10 fold, to get rid of larger amounts of rock.

post-13914-0-39677400-1457590932_thumb.jpg

So I just used my dremel to do most of the work then used the file to expose the bones. I know it's not done..AND by trying to rush through it too fast ,i messed up more then once.

post-13914-0-08812800-1457591413_thumb.jpg

Mate, I think you've done a fantastic job thus far! I'd like to have a go at this myself eventually so it's terrific to see how someone else is going about their first prep. Well done, I'd be really happy to have prepped a fossil as well as this is coming along!

But I did have fun!!! The best 31$ I've ever spent!! Here's a pick when wet. Only 7 hours prep so far. Lets see what the next ebay kit has to offer! Thanks guys!

post-13914-0-11678700-1457591770_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks sandgroper.. It was just a wonder to get to unearth that fossil. Give a kit a try the go collect on site .!! That's what I dream of! Last pic. Is the powder..you don't want this in your lungs. I just used a tooth brush to push it to the side,but much of it went into the air also.

post-13914-0-01554100-1457592657_thumb.jpg

Haha. No.. I'm not a good prepper . I posted this to show that a first time prepper can have a good result! But I have so much to learn that it's silly. We newbs just have to start somewhere,and these 30$ kits are a good start, then it's time to plan a trip to collect our own fossils. That..to me ,is what it's all about!

And to show my fails up close..haha. Here's a pic where I scraped away the precious bones. So please don't call me a good prepper. I just live and learn,like we all do!

post-13914-0-60941800-1457594552_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks sandgroper.. It was just a wonder to get to unearth that fossil. Give a kit a try the go collect on site .!! That's what I dream of! Last pic. Is the powder..you don't want this in your lungs. I just used a tooth brush to push it to the side,but much of it went into the air also.

Your fish looks nice! You might want to wear a mask to prevent breathing in the dust. Also you can make a simple box to do the prep in. I made a tutorial some time ago, it's far from those professional boxes that some members use, but enough for simple prep work like yours:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/61355-cake-boxes-make-simple-preparation-boxes/

Hey thanks sandgroper.. It was just a wonder to get to unearth that fossil. Give a kit I'llry the go collect on site .!! That's what I dream of! Last pic. Is the powder..you don't want this in your lungs. I just used a tooth brush to push it to the side,but much of it went into the air also.

Mate, for $31 I think I'll have a go at one of those kits, it seems a great price for a fossil fish and a terrific way to learn a bit of prep work. I'm going away for a couple of weeks but I'll jump onto ebay when I get back and have a play!

Looks like you are getting the hang of it.

Well done. :)

Patience is definitely the best tool in your kit.

You might consider a Dremel engraver, rather than a rotary tool, though.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey canheaton. Made me laugh when you mentioned about 'hurt fingers'. :) Been there done that a few times. I also use a shappened file when I do the 'scratch and blow' method of prepping. I can see you had tons of fun and excitement prepping this fish out. it really is a super great hobbie.

RB

Great tips. I may look into an engraver if the price is right,and I'm surly going to ware a mask for the next kit.I hope to get it any day now.

Really good job... I like the idea of buying a fossil to prep from somewhere I will never get the chance to collect from, Well done