Winner of the March 2016 Vertebrate Find Of The Month!

JohnJ

The Winner of the March 2016 Vertebrate Find Of The Month is the Partial Probocidean tusk from the Pleistocene deposits of Florida, U.S.A.! Congratulations to joshuajbelanger on his impressive find and first win in the contest! :yay-smiley-1:

post-420-0-95488200-1459997383_thumb.jpe post-420-0-08832600-1459997385_thumb.jpe

Thank you to all other members that voted and entered into the contest. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

So...much...power for one man. If anyone needs me, I'll be trying to fit my head through the door

Congrats, that is an awesome find: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Congrats for this nice tusk.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I know! This was my first time entering! I was obsessed with hitting refresh at the end there! To be honest, that vert was really cool. I keep telling everyone I'm fossil famous now! O_o

I also looked back, and saw some tusks that were better than mine but not popular, so a win was really unexpected! Thank you so much my fossil comrades, but maybe you guys were just throwing me a bone? No pun intended

-J

Congrats on the win and the great find. It's a sweet piece.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Here are the only photos taken at the find site. Forgive the poor quality. It is a cheap smartphone camera that was sealed in a ziploc bag.

The tusk was found laying on the bottom near the bank in about 6-10 inches of water, near a recent washout from the bank. When the photo was taken, the tusk was already removed. (We didn't think to do an in-situ photo.) The tusk was originally laying not far from where that kayak paddle is seen on the bank - in the shallow tea colored water.

bank.jpg

Here is a blurry photo of the washout on the bank. Recent rains which swelled the river (and kept most people away) washed out the tusk very recently prior to our arrival. You could tell from the color that this tusk had not been in the water very long. A day? A few days at most? Hours?

washout.jpg

Here is the canoe used on the tusk trip.

canoe.jpg

We are going back out soon.

Edited by Amberphile

Please accept my congratulations for this excellent find. Well done! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library