Need help ID

Andriy

Very good, Plax! I agree that they are close to Gastrochaena. Stephenson - Kummelia.pdf

post-17588-0-84695700-1460550181_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

my thoughts are with abyssunder

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't the whole thing be slightly more clavate,if it's Gastrochaena?

Edited by doushantuo

Distal portion fragmented -

These seem more consistent with worm burrows.

Edited by Rockwood

this new one is similar to Ascaulocardium armatum (used to go by the name Clavagella). The "appendages" you have come off of the steinkern. Pojeta and Sohl have good illustrations of the anatomy.

I agree that in the newly posted samples are types of bivalve tubes (crypts or adventitious tubes) which don't resemble Gastrochaena. Probably they are from other genera or family. As Plax said, could be Ascaulocardium sp. from the Clavagellidae, or maybe from the family Penicillidae.

" L.A. Smith (1962a) considered that Clavagella and its allies first appeared in the Upper Cretaceous whereas Brechites and its allies first appeared in the Upper Oligocene. Savazzi (2005) suggests in relation to the Clavagellidae, that tube dwelling species of Clavagella, that is Stirpulina, are known since the Cretaceous, facultative borers (Clavagella sensu stricto) and tube dwellers since the Eocene (Cossmann and Pissarro, 1904-1913), with the facultatively coral-boring Bryopa arising in the Miocene (Savazzi, 2000). Savazzi (2000) considered that Brechites and its allies probably appeared in the Early Oligocene of the northern Tethys although L.A. Smith (1962b) suggested that the various representatives of the Penicillidae have all arisen since the Late Oligocene. A wholly accurate account of the fossil history of watering pot shells is not, however, possible because: (i) all species, like most anomalodesmatans, but especially extant taxa, are "rare"; (ii) the tubes of some are aragonitic, fragile and would not fossilize well, and (iii) adventitious tubes may be confused with, for example, those of polychaetes and gastrochaenid and teredinid bivalves. " (...)
Fossil Clavagella and Stirpulina are mostly restricted to Europe (S. pliocenica, Mayoral, 1990) and North America (Stallwood, 1995), but also India (see below), Australia (Clavagella majorina, B.J.Smith, 1971; S. pallinupensis, Morton, 2006b) and from the early Late Miocene of New Zealand (Clavagella oamarutica Maxwell, 1978; Beu and Maxwell, 1990). " The evolution of the watering pot shells (Bivalvia: Anomalodesmata: Clavagellidae and Penicillidae) - Brian Morton http://museum.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/THE%20EVOLUTION%20OF%20THE%20WATERING%20POT%20SHELLS%20%28BIVALVIA%20ANOMALODESMATA%20CLAVAGELLIDAE%20AND%20PENICILLIDAE%29.pdf

The information available on the fossil history of the Clavagellidae and Penicillidae is summarized in Table 2.

post-17588-0-18046200-1461858676_thumb.jpg post-17588-0-20792000-1461859636_thumb.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library