Need help ID

Andriy

My guess is some kind of ichnofossil, it looks like something that grew as it climbed upwards through the accumulating sediment. I can't think of the name of it right now, so will wait for the real experts to weigh in.

Andriy,

I think that they might be long tapering gastropods like Territella that are prerserved as internal molds or steinkerns. The small ends show an indication that these spiral and are not something like an orthoconic nautiloid that have a stacked series of tapering compartments that do not spiral.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I could be wrong, but I have an echinoderm vibe on this. Are you sure about the geological age? My guess would be crinoid arms. post-17588-0-35824800-1460416775_thumb.jpg

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think Wrangellian has it right, ichnofossils. The look to me to be in-filled burrows. I see no spiral form, just alternating wedge-shaped backfill.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

They look like infilled burrows, but the tappering makes no sense. I don't know any creature that can shrink it's mass as it climbs deeper into the ground. Haha, just sayin'.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Very interesting. I see you have a lot of those. Could you cut one in half longitudinally to see how it looks inside?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm in the ichno camp at the moment - perhaps isolated Teredolites (with no wood preserved)?

I don't know if they can be tapered enough though.

Thanks to piranha for putting this image on the forum a while ago (these are actually Cretaceous but I know they're common in the Eocene in many places):

http://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-4301-0-93408400-1389641469.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

Here's the image:

(from: Bromley, R.G., Pemberton, S.G., & Rahmani, R.A. (1984)

A Cretaceous woodground: the Teredolites ichnofacies.

Journal of Paleontology, 58(2):488-49)

IMG1.jpg

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

I have no idea what they are but further information about any other fossils found with or near these may assist.

As it stands we have Eocene and Ukraine as the only information.

Is there anything to indicate if they have a marine, land or fresh water origin.

Looking at the wide end there appears to be no shell or other element of the original item remaining so whatever it was the initial item has rotted away or dissolved.

looking at a broken end they look like they are composed of a fine even grained sediment, what you would expect for an infill.

the tapering to me would suggest plant as in a mould of some type of root.

Paint a couple orange and I know what everyone would see but that is not very scientific.

Mike

these are straight (gastrochaena?) clam burrows. An impression or even a steinkern can usually be broken from the fat end. Looks like you have enough of them to sacrifice one to see the clam. We have them here in North Carolina in the late Cretaceous Peedee Formation and have seen them in the Paleocene Vincentown Formation in New Jersey.

• I found this Informative 1

these are straight (gastrochaena?) clam burrows. An impression or even a steinkern can usually be broken from the fat end...

I wondered whether something like that mightn't be the case.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They look like infilled burrows, but the tappering makes no sense. I don't know any creature that can shrink it's mass as it climbs deeper into the ground. Haha, just sayin'.

I think it would be the opposite: it grew as it burrowed upward, over time. The organism is normally in a resting state, but new sediment would be deposited which it would have to burrow upward thru, and like all organisms, it grows along the way.

These things make up a significant percentage of the collection.

Very strange, that no one met a similar(