Lori LuvsFossils

post-11638-0-98032900-1461352861_thumb.jpgpost-11638-0-63836400-1461352829_thumb.jpg

Thanks to FossilDudeCO I got to try my hand at prepping a fish. I've got almost 7 hours in hand chipping this guy out of the rock. I didn't think it would be buried quite as deeply as it was or I might have turned to a power tool.

I know it isn't at all impressive to those of you who know what you're doing or those with rare fish. That's ok. I just want to say thanks for the opportunity and let anyone who might have an interest know: you can do it!

Thanks John! I've had a great time playing with it!! I actually got 2 of them in the mail & am excited to see what the other one will look like.

I don't know what you're talking about. That's a nice first fish prep. You should be proud.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Hey Lori, you've got to start somewhere, and just look how exciting it is to do your own prep. I wont beat around the bush, its not the best fish, but your having fun and the better you get the more you will do. Let the fossil fish collection begin! Woooop!! Wooooop!!!

RB

It's a lot of fun isn't it. Let it sink in - the enormity of time. You are the first human to see this creature. I'm seeing a few areas at the margin that could be improved with a little more delving. Be careful with your hands. The repetitive motion of that type of mechanical prep can cause a good bit of strain.

I think it was a great project. I hope you will be inspired to prep many more.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks for sharing your experience, Lori. I'm still scratching and pecking at my slab of fish, also my first attempt, also from Blake. The 18-inch layer is pretty hard and I think my tools weren't sharp enough when I began. I think it will be quite awhile before I get as far as you have gotten. I'll be happy if my first try is as good as yours, but we all have to start somewhere. I think I may already have done some damage to a piece of the head, but I'm learning as I go and I'm very much enjoying the process. Thanks for your encouragement!

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Continued

post-4550-0-03356300-1461612739_thumb.jpg

And finally...

post-4550-0-60105200-1461612761_thumb.jpg

This was 100% prepped by hand with the pin vise and carbide rod in the photos. It took me 24 hours to complete.

Be careful, the Surgeon General has determined that fossil preparation is addictive!

Great job Lori, I have yet to try my hand at any prep work. May have to give it a shot one day : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Continued

attachicon.giffossil fish prep 2.JPG

And finally...

attachicon.giffossil fish prep final.JPG

This was 100% prepped by hand with the pin vise and carbide rod in the photos. It took me 24 hours to complete.

Be careful, the Surgeon General has determined that fossil preparation is addictive!

Great work. Looks like you had fun.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! There were 2 slabs in that box. I've just finished the 2nd & boy am I glad I saved this one for last. I'm hooked & my airline tickets are booked. I can not wait to find my own !!!

I felt a little lump under the fish so I chipped away at it. I want to say it's a shrimp, but what do I know. 3 hours worth of fun with this one.

post-11638-0-69746800-1461636887_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience, Lori. I'm still scratching and pecking at my slab of fish, also my first attempt, also from Blake. The 18-inch layer is pretty hard and I think my tools weren't sharp enough when I began. I think it will be quite awhile before I get as far as you have gotten. I'll be happy if my first try is as good as yours, but we all have to start somewhere. I think I may already have done some damage to a piece of the head, but I'm learning as I go and I'm very much enjoying the process. Thanks for your encouragement!

Mike

I wondered if this was the 18" layer. Some other friends have mentioned the layer just flaking off. This required some hard chipping & like you, I'm not using the professional tools. I can't wait to see yours! Have fun!

Good for your first time, but you have the photo upside down.

Jim

Really? I'm displaying it in my house the same way. Ha-Ha I'll flip it. Thanks

Continued

attachicon.giffossil fish prep 2.JPG

And finally...

attachicon.giffossil fish prep final.JPG

Oh my good grief.....that's beautiful !!! I'm hoping to find some beauties while I'm out there. Thanks for sharing!

Dang nice job.Me jealous.

I'd love to know more.Genus,species,anyone?

The fish posted by Lori Luvsfossils are Knightia. They are abundant in the Green River Formation. Her 2nd piece is a very nice example of that critter and is a wonderful prep by someone new to that activity. That is a plate well worth displaying.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

WOW LORI!

That second fish looks fantastic for never prepping before!

Maybe I will see you in June ;)

Looking good. I was going to enlighten you on your 'shrimp' but jpc beat me to that one. When I was in Kemmerer years ago it seemed that the slabs that cleaved the cleanest and easiest while splitting oil shale never contained fish but were never devoid of coprolites. I still have some slabs waiting patiently in my garage. I prepped out some of the easier ones years ago (see my avatar image) but when doing so by hand without the best tools it does get painful in the hands and back. I prepped outside in my garage on the dropped tailgate of my pickup with a cheap magnifying light and some dental probes. Need to up my game and get some better equipment so I can finish off the rest of the treasures hidden on a shelf in my garage. Anybody know a good source for a decent pin vice and a sharp carbide tip?

If you get a chance to dig at Kemmerer, you won't be disappointed. I'm thinking about going back and doing one of the VIP nighttime hunts. They use lights placed low near the slabs to sidelight the surface texture to bring out hidden details that give away the presence of fish fossils just underneath the surface (mostly the faint outline of the backbone). I enjoyed my last two trips to Kemmerer and would certainly go back again.

Cheers.

-Ken