Lori LuvsFossils

Thanks for the great info & nice comments. I really like the 2nd fish too (poo & all)!! Yes, Ken (digit), I'll be in Kemmerer this summer. I don't think I'll want to leave. Ptychodus, Texas is closer than Florida.....just do it !!!

Looking good. I was going to enlighten you on your 'shrimp' but jpc beat me to that one. When I was in Kemmerer years ago it seemed that the slabs that cleaved the cleanest and easiest while splitting oil shale never contained fish but were never devoid of coprolites. I still have some slabs waiting patiently in my garage. I prepped out some of the easier ones years ago (see my avatar image) but when doing so by hand without the best tools it does get painful in the hands and back. I prepped outside in my garage on the dropped tailgate of my pickup with a cheap magnifying light and some dental probes. Need to up my game and get some better equipment so I can finish off the rest of the treasures hidden on a shelf in my garage. Anybody know a good source for a decent pin vice and a sharp carbide tip?

If you get a chance to dig at Kemmerer, you won't be disappointed. I'm thinking about going back and doing one of the VIP nighttime hunts. They use lights placed low near the slabs to sidelight the surface texture to bring out hidden details that give away the presence of fish fossils just underneath the surface (mostly the faint outline of the backbone). I enjoyed my last two trips to Kemmerer and would certainly go back again.

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken, I got mine from the site below. Kinda pricey, but they are great. I guess you could come out cheaper buying carbide rods and grinding points yourself. I have been happy with these.

paleotools | Pin vise and needles

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

A pro model Selmer is indeed the horn preferred by many serious saxophone players. However, my horn is a vintage (1932) Conn "Transitional" model in silverplate. To my ear these old Conns sound like no other. My horn (named Lillian) is loud and raucous. She has quirks and her ergonomics are no match for a modern Selmer. This is a much finer instrument than my meager talent warrants. I am pleased to have her her.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See