Winner of the April 2016 Vertebrate Find Of The Month!

JohnJ

Nice Tooth, Tony!

Congratulations on the win!

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congrats Tony, well done ! post-17588-0-13970200-1462705600.gif

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Awesome! Congrats.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

As close as a VFOTM has been in a while. Congrats to Jeff for a huge mammoth tooth that will be HIS FOTM for some time. Congrats to Tony on a cool whale tooth (not pathological it seems but oddly beautiful nonetheless). Hope to make it back out to Shark Tooth Hill soon so you can show me where all the nice whale teeth are hidden. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken. It is amazing To Me that this tooth beat out the mammoth tooth. I was digging in the same area of the bank that We were digging when You and Tammy were there.

Hope that I can meet up with Y'All when You do come back!!

Nice Tooth, Tony!

Congratulations on the win!

Regards,

Thank You Tim!

Congrats Tony, well done ! attachicon.gif023.gif

Thank You!

Awesome! Congrats.

Thank You!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Tony,

Fantastic Find.. Congratulations on the win against huge and impressive competition!! Having been in these competitions, it is better to both win AND lose against stiff competition. The excitement and the recognition of all the worthy entries make it more enjoyable.

As an aside, I am really interested in whale teeth because... I have found some recently. and I wait more comments and hints from Bobby.

An update from Boesse,

"This tooth is actually not pathologic, quite a lot of these teeth are collected from Shark Tooth Hill and have that really inflated root. The identity of these teeth are not yet known - but they are distinctive and large, and are perhaps one of the exceptions to my caveat on identifying isolated odontocete teeth. My suspicion is that these belong to a giant kentriodontid dolphin similar to Hadrodelphis calvertensis from Maryland that as of yet is only known from unpublished earbones."

I see some similarities to this one, found in Florida creek:
post-2220-0-19145300-1462724708_thumb.jpg

Looks to have that inflated root and similar tip...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Tony,

Fantastic Find.. Congratulations on the win against huge and impressive competition!! Having been in these competitions, it is better to both win AND lose against stiff competition. The excitement and the recognition of all the worthy entries make it more enjoyable.

As an aside, I am really interested in whale teeth because... I have found some recently. and I wait more comments and hints from Bobby.

An update from Boesse,

"This tooth is actually not pathologic, quite a lot of these teeth are collected from Shark Tooth Hill and have that really inflated root. The identity of these teeth are not yet known - but they are distinctive and large, and are perhaps one of the exceptions to my caveat on identifying isolated odontocete teeth. My suspicion is that these belong to a giant kentriodontid dolphin similar to Hadrodelphis calvertensis from Maryland that as of yet is only known from unpublished earbones."

I see some similarities to this one, found in Florida creek:

attachicon.gifBrokenWhaleMeasurementCM.jpg

Looks to have that inflated root and similar tip...

Thank You! I agree that the competition is what makes the contest so fun. This one was a "rollercoaster" ride for Me.

Thanks for the update.

My whale tooth is only 2 inches long while Yours is well over 5 inches. I think that they are from different species even though they have a superficial similarity.

A further update from Boesse...

"Not sure! Very little has been done on dental pathologies and abnormalities in marine mammals. An apically swollen root occurs in quite a few primitive members of Delphinida, including eurhinodelphinids as Harry pointed out, pontoporiids, lipotids, and some kentriodontids; also occurs in some Platanistidae."

Tony

Thanks Ken. It is amazing To Me that this tooth beat out the mammoth tooth. I was digging in the same area of the bank that We were digging when You and Tammy were there.

Hope that I can meet up with Y'All when You do come back!!

Count on it. Tony, for those who have not met him in person, is a great representative of TFF and one of the nicest people you'll have a chance to hunt fossils with.

Cheers.

-Ken

Count on it. Tony, for those who have not met him in person, is a great representative of TFF and one of the nicest people you'll have a chance to hunt fossils with.

Cheers.

-Ken

:blush:

Thanks Ken.

Tony

Congratulations Tony.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Congrats Tony......Its a great looking whale tooth.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Congratulations very nice tooth well worth the win

Regards

Mike