using pin vice

goat

Just starting my first restoration....Wanting to know if using a pin vise is an option? Not clear what they do.... I'm pairing it up with an air scribe....

Welcome to the Forum. Please send us a photo and description (age, locality, formation etc) of what you are working so that we can give you better advice.

Regards,

John

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Pin vices are actually mini manual drills, that are used by hobbyists for all sorts of miniature work, as well as Jewelry work.

Here is a definition from THIS WEBSITE.

"The vises are really a form of handle with an adjustable throat or collet (the vise part) most often used as miniature drills, holding very small drill bits in their adjustable collets, for use drilling insertion hole for piercing saws or fret saws for jewelery and wood. They can also be used to hold square or half round wire, to create decorative twisted wire, or to hold small diamond bits, files or reamers for sanding or working on carvings in both metal and wood. Highly adaptable, a pin vise can be used to hold small wood or metal parts still for operations like sanding, or will hold any bit head that will fit in its chuck collets (the sections that tighten down at the tip to hold the tool in place."

Knowing what you will be preparingwould help to determine what tools you use. :)

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Many of us started with pin vices, sharpened needles and dental tools,

I started with a steak knife! Ha!! But good luck with starting out. Its a great hobbie.

RB

I use pin vices in combination with an air scribe and X-acto knives. All have their place depending on the application.