Butvar 98 question

joshuajbelanger

So I accidentally bought butvar 98 on Amazon. I figured I would give it a shot on some random fossils, to see the affect. I can't really find a mixing guide. And when I put it in the acetone, it doesn't appear to be dissolving fully. I just want to brush it on a few fossils, but it seems to be a little beady still. Should I abandon the 98, for 72? Or is there a proper mixing guide? Temperature of water? Ect. I'm just kind of in test phase here, I really want to get this down to a science before I start preserving my mammoth jaw.

-thanks

I'm not sure it dissolves in acetone. It does dissolve in ethanol (maybe everclear too if you can't get ethanol?) and is used as a consolidant but not as an adhesive. 2% -10% g/mL. It's quite likely you could let the acetone evaporate, maybe with a little heat such as from the sun - remember acetone is flammable! - and then remix with ethanol.

• I found this Informative 3

I'm not sure it dissolves in acetone. It does dissolve in ethanol (maybe everclear too if you can't get ethanol?) and is used as a consolidant but not as an adhesive. 2% -10% g/mL. It's quite likely you could let the acetone evaporate, maybe with a little heat such as from the sun - remember acetone is flammable! - and then remix with ethanol.

Yup...your absolutely right. Well I'm an idiot...

well admiting it is the first step :):P:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: . You need to use some duck tape to put the little guys jaw back together.

• I found this Informative 1

Ha ha, what's the saying? If you can't duct it, ....well, they will just sensor me anyway... Lol

For the record, it doesn't dissolve in everclear. I'm not proud that I had everclear, don't judge me.

• Enjoyed 1

Try dissolving B-98 in methanol. One site, the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology (vertpaleo.org), suggests methanol and says that it doesn't dissolve in acetone.

See:

http://www.butvar.com/pdfs/en/butvar_properties_and_uses.pdf

http://www.scbt.com/datasheet-214636-butvar-b-98.html

• I found this Informative 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I have some at work, I'll try it tomorrow. But to be honest, I'll just wait til my 76 comes in, I don't really want a Matt finish on the jaw. So I'm gonna use the 98 for other fossils. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

For the record, it doesn't dissolve in everclear. I'm not proud that I had everclear, don't judge me.

It's probably the water content. I mentioned it as I don't know the laws your side of the pond regarding ethanol as you can, well, get wasted on it! Over here ethanol with tax on it is more expensive than a REALLY decent single malt whisky. I use 99% ethanol/1% methanol here and that is cheap but requires a government licence.

Nothing wrong with having Everclear as long as you have ice with it.... :P don't drink methanol tho....

Edited by JohnBrewer

Ha ha, yeah. Although I do know a few guys that make some nice moonshine. Maybe I should see if that works. I'll probably just raid the flammable cabinet at work...shhhhhh

It's probably the water content. I mentioned it as I don't know the laws your side of the pond regarding ethanol as you can, well, get wasted on it! Over here ethanol with tax on it is more expensive than a REALLY decent single malt whisky. I use 99% ethanol/1% methanol here and that is cheap but requires a government licence.

Nothing wrong with having Everclear as long as you have ice with it.... :P don't drink methanol tho....

We can buy denatured alcohol (at any hardware store). It's basically pure ethanol with a bit of chemical added to make it poison to drink.

Edited by Ptychodus04
  • I found this Informative 3

We can buy denatured alcohol (at any hardware store). It's basically pure ethanol with a bit of chemical added to make it poison to drink.

Not dissimilar here Kris. From talking to friends in the same profession as me in US they say the denaturant isn't specified and can be different with different batches. This causes them problems (in our field of work). We have something similar what is called 'methylated spirits' freely available in hardware stores here too but it's dyed purple, only 90% ethanol and our denaturants vary too. It might not make any difference as a solvent for Paraloid but because of my day job I need to use the highest grade and need to know what's in it. There are two types in the UK of the better quality, 95% ethanol and 99% ethanol with a known denaturant. While a licence here is needed (maybe Europe wide, I don't know) they're free and easy to obtain for anyone. I guess the authorities just want to know who's using it.

It's not too difficult with the right equipment and knowledge to remove the denaturant but I prefer whisky :)

I actually received my butvar 76 in the mail, and have since consolidated all the pieces. Pics will be coming soon.

I actually received my butvar 76 in the mail, and have since consolidated all the pieces. Pics will be coming soon.

Great, looking forward to seeing pics.

Edited by JohnBrewer