What is this skull?

Old shark teeth

Unfortunately, I am not seeing anything that could be a skull. This appears to be just a suggestively shaped rock

Keep looking, though and welcome to the forum!

Sorry,... not a skull, as the others said.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's a rock, but it has a great alligator-looking pattern on it. Pretty neat.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Hey,i thank you all for replying,unfortunatly not what i wanted to hear! Im rubbish with computers and internet stuff,so struggling to put good pics on. I realy think that if i could show somone proper detailed pics,they mite see what i see?!(if that makes any sense!) I have an iphone that i know how to send pics from,would anybody who pittys me please give me a phone number i can text my pics to,to have a better look please? Thanks again for your replies so far,and as an Englishman apologise for my terrible English!

Welcome to TFF!

As the others have said -- it is a suggestively shaped rock.

There is no evidence or appearance of bone, no mouth, no teeth, no eyes-- not a skull.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Or if nobody wants to give there number out on this website,my number is ....

Thank you,and pleeease,i really want to get to the bottom of this SKULL!!!!

Edited by JohnJ
phone number removed...contact member via PM for number

There is evidence of all of those thing u listed Tony,i need to send proper detailed pics,and strugling to use this site. (Certainly not the sites fault,its me)

Actually, your pictures are fine. :)

I think that you are just seeing similar shapes, and the brain likes to make the shapes fit a familiar pattern.

There is a sharp angled corner on your item that just screams rock to me - and the rock itself looks like a chert or limestone piece.

There are no orbits, teeth, sutures, mandible or jaw.

No bone texture, either.

I think you should take this to a local university or museum paleontologist have a look at it.

They will be able to see better in hand what you are seeing, but again, I don't think there is anything there.

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Ok,you prob think im an idiot,but if nobody want to give number,would sombody please help me getting photos on here,everytime i try to put pic up it says 'file to big',the only 1's it lets me put up are the 2 you have seen,and they do it no justice. And i can also apreciate you guys may think im rude by questioning your replys,i certainly dont mean to be,its just you havnt seen all of it?!

Let me also add that your photos are fine and we do not need any additional ones to make this call. I echo what others have said. Sorry it does not meet your expectations but there is a lot of experience looking at your specimen.

• I found this Informative 1

,would sombody please help me getting photos on here,everytime i try to put pic up it says 'file to big'

There is a "more reply options" on the lower right of the new post box. Click on that and it will let You add more pictures.

There is a 2 meg limit per post -- so if Your picture is to large You will need to resize it.

I agree that the pictures You posted originally are fine-- but there are none of the features of a skull in this rock.

Tony

PS Inexperience does not an idiot make. We all had to learn what to look for.

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

There is evidence of all of those thing u listed Tony,i need to send proper detailed pics,and strugling to use this site. (Certainly not the sites fault,its me)

No one is suggesting you are 'anything' because of your inquiry. ;) From the images you posted above, can you describe why you think it is a skull?

As others have referenced, you have decades of experience viewing your find and we have seen skulls embedded in rocks before. So, I can assure you if one is there, someone would be quick to acknowledge it. Maybe you could describe the "evidence" you see.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

No way this is a cranium.Cranial sutures are almost never that straight,and i see no shapes suggestive of e.g a vomer,or a frontal.There are no rugosities or foramina that i can see,Sorry

Edited by doushantuo

Go to my profile page, by clicking on my user name, and email me the photos at the address listed there. :)

I will put the photos up for you.

Regards,

Welcome from Manchester :)

I agree with others you've got something geological rather than paleontological, I'm afraid it's a rock. To settle your curiosity take it to your local museum, they'll help. We all find rocks but you will find something cool eventually.

A good day trip for you would be somewhere on the Jurassic Coast. Ay Lyme Regis and Charmouth they have museums and run fossil hunting walks which are really good value for money. I think the fossil trip I took at Charmouth was about £7. They give an informative talk be for the walks too. Do a quick Google and check their websites as its tide dependent and in the summer the walks get booked up pretty fast.

I'm afraid I'm not seeing a skull either. However, you are from the UK and there are tons of fossil sites you could travel to and do your own digging! You can find ammonites, trilobites, dinosaurs (although very hard to find), and marine reptiles such as plesiosauridaes.

Oh and Aust is cool too, under the Severn Bridge. You can do that one in a one day trip. Look for the rocks on the floor with a sort of rusty surface. You don't need to crack this stuff open with a hammer on site. Grab a few chunks and put em in a rucksack. They'll be full of tiny bits of bone, fossil poo (coprolite) and stacks of mini teeth guaranteed. You might get a vertebra or two too. Message me if you get some and I'll tell you how to extract the fossils chemically, time consuming but easy. :)

Hi Old Shark Teeth...

I will add my voice to the pile of others. I see no evidence of bone in your rocks. Not to brag, but I have collected many skulls in my decades of doing this, so I like to think I know a skull when I see one. Others who have responded also are pretty good at IDing skulls. Sorry to tell you, but I think this is a rock.

Thankyou all again for all of your replies,and John that extraction method sounds amazing! Ive decided to go to Lyme Regis tomorow and try and find an expert to show my SKULL to! I have a few bits id like an opinion on so very exited! Im 99% positive i will be telling all you guys how imbarasing my trip to Lyme was,just theres somthing i can see in it that tells me to believe in it! .........you guys are likly to wet yourselfs when you see my next specimen!,i think its a 'Hatching Egg'. I can see a little skull with an orbit,and what my vivid imagination tells me is an 'Egg-Tooth'. At bottom of egg it looks like some part of the little bird or beast is showing??? Ill try n put pics up,i would apreciate your opinions please,Thankyoupost-21942-0-29420900-1468443503_thumb.jpgpost-21942-0-96000500-1468443581_thumb.jpgpost-21942-0-32623000-1468443999_thumb.jpgpost-21942-0-57530900-1468444100_thumb.jpg

Sorry, not an egg.

Looks to me like a chert or flint nodule.

Could be something in it, possibly a sponge, but, definitely not an egg.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Again sorry to disappoint but it is not a hatching egg. Typically we look for eggshell material on the surface and your specimen has none. Please include this with your skull when you show your expert. Please let us know what he says.