Peace river Id needed

autographcollector11

Hi all

this is from the peace river. Kind of stumped about it. Looks like wood but need your help....thanks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know what you have here, your photos are a bit blurry.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Here are better pics.....one side does look to have an enamel look. The other looks wood like. Hmmmm........

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with Mammoth tooth frag.

Mastodon teeth have more of a glossy smooth finish. Mammoth teeth have more of a tree bark look. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Some kind of Proboscidea for sure. I'd guess mastodon just based on the apparent black coloration, which matches the little bit of mastodon pieces I have been able to find. The broken up mammoth tooth plates I find are typically a little lighter in color and more of a brown tone to it. I've seen mammoth fragments that looked black also and I actually find those more than mastodon. So like Al Dente said, could be either or mammoth. Is there any way to definitively tell the difference on small incomplete fragments? Is there anything with teeth that is akin to Schrieger lines to diagnose which beast it originated from? (like how there is with ivory)?

And what Charlie just said also - the mastodon is usually glossier and almost like a fragment of fired black china on the exterior.

No doubt, is a mammoth tooth plate fragment. Here are a few ones from Europe (Mammuthus primigenius) to compare with. The distinguishing " V " pattern on the vertical rows is visible.

Mammoth molar plates.jpgimage.jpg.f6f0b6fbf65c8c22a2e7b4835638e4b7.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Nice comparison photo and it really shows the "wood" texture to the look. Often times I think I see a broken plate like this on the bottom, only to grab it and it turns out to be a piece of waterlogged wood.  Happens again and again.  LOL.  But, every so often, it's a piece of mammoth tooth or tusk "bark". :)