Should I try to prep out this crinoid?

matgerke

I bought the attached crinoid from a dealer.  It is from Crawfordsville, IN.  I noticed that there is a smaller, darker crinoid stem to the left of the main crinoid, and I have an urge to prep out out, but I have almost no experience prepping.  Is this something I should try?  Do I run the risk of destroying the crinoid that is already exposed?  Does it even look like there is another calyx buried in the matrix?  Any suggestions appreciated.

20170127_163807.jpg

From this vantage point it doesn't look like you'll find another calyx there, but the photo doesn't show enough detail to say for sure. Try taking a closeup of the area above the stem at an angle with an oblique lighting to highlight any possible bumps and bulges which might indicate that something is under the matrix. How thick is the plate?

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I believe the only way additional prep could possibly harm the exposed crinoid is through carelessness. That is, the preparator becomes so engrossed in the immediate task that they inadvertently damage the piece. For example; while working on a specific area of a slab it is easy to "grab" the piece in a harmful way in an effort to steady/turn/remove debris from it. Your attention is directed where you are appropriately focused and the remainder of the piece is man-handled. This happens more than you may imagine - at least to me. 

The remedy: be mindful, go slow, have a proper work area and have fun. A carbide needle and a pin vise will take you far.

Edit: Ludwigia aptly responded while I was two-finger typing - a well reasoned response which addressed the portion of your inquiry I ignored. I would like to add - look at the slab's edge. The stem is close to the margin and if it has a calyx associated, it may be visible in cross section. Even if only a stem exists, it will add interest to the plate to expose it. Also it will be a great practice experiment. 

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I would not prep this as my very first attempt at preparation. The stem appears to continue so I would prep it if it was mine.

I would suggest practicing on a few other specimens to get a feel for it first. As @snolly50 said carbide needles and patience go a long way. I would also add that magnification is a must.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the quick responses!

What is the go-to tool for magnification?

I will try prepping out some more common pieces that I have found before trying this one.  I am concerned however that the Devonian shales that I have to practice on will be very different from this matrix.  

Nothing in the piece suggests there's another calyx there.  Just sort of want to figure it out.  I will post additional photos shortly.

1 hour ago, matgerke said:

Thanks for the quick responses!

What is the go-to tool for magnification?

I will try prepping out some more common pieces that I have found before trying this one.  I am concerned however that the Devonian shales that I have to practice on will be very different from this matrix.  

Nothing in the piece suggests there's another calyx there.  Just sort of want to figure it out.  I will post additional photos shortly.

When I have been in your situation with matrix different than I am used to, simply turn over the slab and pick away at the bottom to get a feel of how the matrix releases before working on the crinoid. You should be fine if you do this. Show your results even if no calyx.

Thanks for the closeups. It looks like the stem could continue on, but I see no outward signs of a calyx, although you never know...I guess you won't find out if anything's in there until you have a go at it in the way that Kris and Snolly are suggesting, but it's probably best for you to get some practice on a similar matrix first.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

For magnification, I use 3 different methods depending on the need. I have a 3x binocular headset like jewelers use, a ~3x lamp/lens combo, and a stereo microscope with 10x and 20x eyepieces.

The jewelers lens is what I started with because they are cheap.