Favorite nonfiction fossil, paleontology, Earth science books?

Hat

A note on the book Scott posted about:

a good idea of the table of contents of said book by perusing Mark Williams's RG pages

The Song of the Dodo - David Quammen

This book should be required reading for every thinking person on the planet. If it were, things might be different. 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

9 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

...am hunting down Acanthomeridion now

4 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Ok,throw me a pitch!

Here is Acanthomeridion serratum.  The references are available as a free download: LINK

IMG1.thumb.jpg.6cb41e3357b5f03a0ffe67504352edb7.jpg  IMG2.thumb.jpg.9d894ae93afd7f9d5d0c036dc2d3b89c.jpg

figures from:

Hou, X.G., Siveter, D.J., Siveter, D.J., Aldridge, R.J., Cong, P.Y., Gabbott, S.E., Ma, X.Y., Purnell, M.A., & Williams, M. (2017)
The Cambrian Fossils of Chengjiang, China: The Flowering of Early Animal Life, Second Edition. 
Wiley - Blackwell Scientific Publishing, 316 pp.

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

2 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Rudwick: Fossil Brachiopods

I like Martin Rudwick's books. Have you read The Great Devonian Controversy (ISBN 0226731014)?

• I found this Informative 1

No,and NOT because it's not good.

I have always admired Rudwick's erudition

But Rudwick needs space to expound..

his books are voluminous and i've got tons to read already ...

My most recent great read is The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World, by Andrea Wulf.

It is a large tome, and a biography to boot, but so well written that it held me enrapt. But then, I particularly enjoy science histories.:)

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am looking for a book on human evolution.  With all the discoveries, I need something for context.  If it is technical, so much the better.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Auspex is back!

For the early history of life I still like Fossils of the Burgess Shale (Briggs et al.) and The Rise of Animals (Fedonkin et al.)

Lots of eye candy in those.

On March 31, 2017 at 6:58 PM, snolly50 said:

The Song of the Dodo - David Quammen

This book should be required reading for every thinking person on the planet. If it were, things might be different. 

I agree whole heartedly.

and auspex us back.  I also aim to read the Humbolt book.  It has gotten good reviews. 

Archaeopteryx: The Icon of Evolution by Peter Wellnhofer

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

13 hours ago, ashcraft said:

I am looking for a book on human evolution.  With all the discoveries, I need something for context.  If it is technical, so much the better.

Brent Ashcraft

Brent, the book discussed in this link may be of interest to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapiens:_A_Brief_History_of_Humankind

I was fortunate to take an on line course taught by the books author. It was supported by his school, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The course was offered by Coursera, but a brief search did not locate it among their current offerings. This material is more heavily weighted toward cultural developments, as opposed to discussion of genetics/evolution. So it is not exactly what you are asking about, but a strongly allied area.  I found it fascinating. The authors' lecturing style made the video presentations very enjoyable.  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See