Hello from Traverse City Michigan

DrJamesDaddy

• New Members

Hello, I'm James from 15 minutes south of Traverse City Michigan. I've been somewhat interested in rocks and fossils as long a I can remember. 2 years ago I bought my then 4 year old daughter a rock tumbler for Christmas and we have been keeping our eyes to the ground since. I came across this site after I found what I was calling a "tooth" after dethatching my back yard. Using this site and others I have discovered that I found a Horn Coral. I'll post photos when I get a moment. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for having me.

James

Welcome to the Forum, James. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum from New York!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome to TFF ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• New Members

This is the Horn Coral as mentioned. At least that's what I think it is. Feedback is very welcome. 

IMG_3894.JPG

• 4 years later...

@DrJamesDaddy

Being new here myself, I just ran across your introduction.  My wife and I live near Cadillac, so in northern Michigan terms, that makes us neighbors. 

I've been an avid geology and paleontology fan for decades.  My wife has been collecting rocks and minerals nearly as long.  Recently, I took her to Fisherman's Island State Park in Charlevoix.  She loved seeing the limestone bedrock with embedded corals the size of footballs. 

Since your post is four years old, I hope you're still active.  If you are, I'll clue you in to my favorite Traverse City hunting site - The parking islands in front of Books-A-Million on South Airport.  Great place to take your daughter to find corals and brachiopods. 

28 minutes ago, Bill Hoddson said:

@DrJamesDaddy

Being new here myself, I just ran across your introduction.  My wife and I live near Cadillac, so in northern Michigan terms, that makes us neighbors. 

I've been an avid geology and paleontology fan for decades.  My wife has been collecting rocks and minerals nearly as long.  Recently, I took her to Fisherman's Island State Park in Charlevoix.  She loved seeing the limestone bedrock with embedded corals the size of footballs. 

Since your post is four years old, I hope you're still active.  If you are, I'll clue you in to my favorite Traverse City hunting site - The parking islands in front of Books-A-Million on South Airport.  Great place to take your daughter to find corals and brachiopods. 

I don't think they are active having not visited the forum since 2017, only having two posts, and only being on for 2-3 weeks. You may be able to contact them through PM, as it should show up in there email.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)