Texas Cretaceous Mystery

BobWill

2 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Bobwill,that is a terrifc plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dinosmile::ptero::drool::envy:B):blink:

taphonomically interesting,the preserved segments are quite long.

The strata you found this in,could they be Aptian?

No, the Duck Creek Formation is in the Washita Group near the top of the Albian stage.

I will add that the limestone this was found in is harder and with finer bedding planes than what is typical of the surrounding limestone but it was found in undisturbed layers on the bank of the creek.

• I found this Informative 2

I will go with the brittle star.

Attached is a photo of a section I found years ago.

This one is albian.

Mike D'Arcy

D-129.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

If I compare these two images, I have no doubt. Well done, folks! :)

18519543_10211875810804262_6850551812382215656_n.jpg.41ebbb2425186b852cf8b4af85e74197.thumb.jpg.d24248c7ff68b2cc794d5b821606d46e.jpg D-129.JPG.a83cd690cbdaf59fd7915f23b805da82.thumb.JPG.45d8d5c44602d0041ace35d5d5c31fa6.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Further research to find conifers that match your fossils was fruitless. I used the principle of Occam's Razor when I suggested that blackish carbonized films that look like branches with needles are conifers. An ID of brittlestars look spot on.

Bob, are these fossils in slab below composed of calcium carbonate per acid test?

18519543_10211875810804262_6850551812382215656_n.thumb.jpg.9491820d8317a0554a33a49cb2fa6a90.jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

49 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Further research to find conifers that match your fossils was fruitless. I used the principle of Occam's Razor when I suggested that blackish carbonized films that look like branches with needles are conifers. An ID of brittlestars look spot on.

Bob, are these fossils in slab below composed of calcium carbonate per acid test?

What!!! You want me to destroy one of my precious brittlestar arms for your silly test???

Just kidding John. I'll give it a try and let you know. Jason Osborne who found the slab this piece came off of went back to Odessa but another collector who was along for this hunt saw where he found it so we are going back in a few days to look for more. If the name sounds familiar Jason if founder and president of Paleo Quest.  According to the website it is a non profit organization:

"that advances research in the natural sciences through exploration, education and material donations to researchers and museums and in that capacity, he has donated hundreds of hours of volunteer time to museums, researchers and school systems. Jason has found, recovered, prepared and donated thousands of fossil specimens to museum collections for research purposes and to schools as teaching aids. Along with co-founder Aaron Alford, he has led the organization to collaborative relationships with the Smithsonian Institution, The JASON Project, National Geographic and the Sea Research Foundation. Paleo Quest and its researchers will expand their educational outreach to include hundreds of thousands of students worldwide."

He also did this short video for National Geographic:  http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/150821-whale-skull-baleen-virginia-swamp-vin

And if all of that wasn't enough he bought Ruthy and me dinner :)

• I found this Informative 2

25 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

the piece is worth some kind of award,IMHO(hint,nudge,wink)

I'll ask Jason if he's a tff member. Alternatively I can go look for a piece of this stuff I can claim to have found myself. lol

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Yes. The fossils began to dissolve in less than 5 minutes in a solution of 10% muriatic acid. That was about the same rate as the matrix dissolved.