Fossil Hunt South Dakota 2017

RJB

I have got my ammo display case started a few weeks ago, but I cant find all my finished ammos?  In some boxes somewhere.   I will run into them someday im sure.

RB

6 hours ago, RJB said:

I have got my ammo display case started a few weeks ago, but I cant find all my finished ammos?  In some boxes somewhere.   I will run into them someday im sure.

RB

Me and the boys made that trip to Montana dude. You'll not find your ammos.....:ninja:

Aaaaaalrighty then!!!   Did lots of work on the house the last few days, but today it was play time.   I did a bunch of prep work on these beauties.  The one in the middle is the real gem with lots and lots of blazing color!!!  Ive still have a lot of work to do on these but they are turning out really nice!!!  These are all nicoletti and I think the Genus is Hoploscaphites?  

RB

DSCN1117.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Ron those are amazing. Your sons are going to be very happy at Christmas lol.

21 hours ago, RJB said:

Aaaaaalrighty then!!!   Did lots of work on the house the last few days, but today it was play time.   I did a bunch of prep work on these beauties.  The one in the middle is the real gem with lots and lots of blazing color!!!  Ive still have a lot of work to do on these but they are turning out really nice!!!  These are all nicoletti and I think the Genus is Hoploscaphites?  

RB

DSCN1117.JPG

:wub:

Gees Ron you keep pulling out even more spectacular ammonites than the previous ones from that trip.  I'll bet they just sparkle in the sun light.

Here is a rock ive been going back and forth on for quite some time now.   2 days ago my son stopped by and we did LOTS of rock cutting!  Saves me a ton of time prepping!  You can see how this one on the back side was rather worn from being exposed in the creek for quite awhile.  Still, it should be quite a nice rock?  im quite happy with it so far.  The big one is Scaphites spedini, the one in front may be the same?  and there is a small Spenodiscus on the left.  A very nice rock for being beat up.

Oh, this was in a very large rock, so getting it cut made it much easier to work on.

Ron

DSCN1118.JPG

DSCN1119.JPG

Here is what im working on.  I work on one and have to glue something and go on to the next one and so on.  But simply a nice batch of ammos from the Fox Hills Formation.  These are all Scaphites.  Some spedini, some gulosum, some nicoletti.  Oh, and some Spenodiscus, but most of those are hard to see in this photo. 

RB

DSCN1120.JPG

And then there is that teaser lobster stuck in the back..let's see a bigger pic of that. What a tease.......

Hi @crabfossilsteve, I prepped out that lobster about 20 years ago.  did a bit more work on it a month or so ago, but its still needs a bit more work.   Wish I had more?  I probably do somewhere?

RB

Ok, while everyone else in the US is having fun doing the july 4th weekend stuff, I, like usual was in the garage prepping.  Here is what I finished today.  Took way too much time, but the more I worked on it, the better it got!   Only one complete ammo in this rock, but it came out purty dang cool!!! 

RB

DSCN1121.JPG

DSCN1122.JPG

DSCN1123.JPG

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Ok, while everyone else in the US is having fun doing the july 4th weekend stuff, I, like usual was in the garage prepping.  Here is what I finished today.  Took way too much time, but the more I worked on it, the better it got!   Only one complete ammo in this rock, but it came out purty dang cool!!! 

RB

Ron, Educate me. Seems like there might be 2,3,4 -- I just imagine those that I see the top half might have another half completely contained in the rock below what I see.  Not possible?  Jack,

PS Take a break , drink a brew, eat a couple of dogs, enjoy the family

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Ptychodus04   Thanks, we did purty good this last trip. 

RB

@Shellseeker   Hi Jack, you must be looking at these wrong.  Every ammo but one has problems.   Mind you, even the incomplete ones are loaded with color.  Thats the only reason I kept going on this one.  I was going to cut the complete one out of the rock at first.   Now im glad I didnt.

RB