What is this?

kaikai886

• New Members

I am a boy in hong kong ,and my family in mainland china found a piece of fossil.We have no way to find out what kind of rock or fossil is it.I hope to find out the answer here , thank you so much.

IMG-20170610-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20170610-WA0004.jpg

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  I believe you have a proboscidean (elephant) molar tooth...possibly from one of the Stegodon-type proboscideans.  The one in the second picture looks to be virtually intact.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 3

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

• New Members

How about the age?

Someone wanted to buy this. Is it a good way to deal with this fossil?

Welcome to the forum. :) 

I know someone will be along to give you an approximate age of this very nice fossil.

As for what you choose to do with it, that is mostly up to you, as long as it does not violate export laws. When it comes to price, do keep in mind that the forum does not provide appraisals of monetary value for fossils, as that it is too difficult to determine through pictures alone. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Stegodon was a long-lived genus and ranges from the Miocene (about 12 million years ago) through the Late Pleistocene (about 10,000 years ago).

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I agree with the ID's given. And remember, it is illegal to export vertebrate fossils from china. Beautiful find though!

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This TFF topic might be helpful:

post-17588-0-03827300-1454502630.thumb.jpg.6efa884ec152d039b3c1a4dacae9eae0.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library