Portugal fossils

arthurvoss

I say let's all get together and give Arthur a visit, maybe we can get a good group rate. How many members are there on the forum?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

23 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I say let's all get together and give Arthur a visit, maybe we can get a good group rate. How many members are there on the forum?

Hahaha come whenever you want! just rent a car and we can for sure do a lot! never fall into geologic tour guides in portugal cause most of them take you to total turistic beaches and wont let you take fossil samples with you. 

For sure the most common fossil you can find in the jurassic deposits of the lusitan basin

IMG_3028.PNG

IMG_3029.PNG

IMG_3030.PNG

• I found this Informative 3

would love to know from wich fish is this from? found it in Magoito formation, cretaceous. ( sintra - portugal)

IMG_3066.PNG

• I found this Informative 2

this is maybe one of the rarest Ammonites i found. Came from the cretaceous period of Magoito/Sintra. ive colected in this beach for

over 8 years, over and over again and just found 2 specimens, one of them in very bad conditions... would love to know the species

IMG_3061.PNG

I have already scheduled a surprise side trip to Magoito beach for the missus, and we'll be there in just over two weeks. All these pictures are just making me giddy with excitement! Keep posting more! Fixe! Muito obrigado!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 22/06/2017 at 1:29 AM, caldigger said:

You could hire a coach Doren, it'd keep the bus fare down. :D

On 19/06/2017 at 7:59 PM, arthurvoss said:

Found this Ichthyosaur Rostrum 5 or 6 months ago in the cliffs on the lusitan basin. 

IMG_2952.PNG

IMG_2953.PNG

:envy:

should you find another which you would part for some €'s with think think of me @arthurvoss!

3 hours ago, arthurvoss said:

Looks like an Ammonite but its not...anyway can guess what it is?

IMG_3264.PNG

Could it be Gastropod?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, arthurvoss said:

Looks like an Ammonite but its not...anyway can guess what it is?

IMG_3264.PNG

Some kind of gastropod by the looks of it? Your cretaceous fish teeth are probably from some species of drum fish. Sorry I can't help you further with that ammonite. You've made some very nice finds over the years! Thanks for posting them.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 25/06/2017 at 6:30 PM, Ludwigia said:

Some kind of gastropod by the looks of it? Your cretaceous fish teeth are probably from some species of drum fish. Sorry I can't help you further with that ammonite. You've made some very nice finds over the years! Thanks for posting them.

thanks guys, its just a rare type of rudist from Portugal. over the years i only found 2 complete ones and this one is for sure one of my favorite

• 9 months later...

Good to see you back and still collecting some marvellous pieces!

I was able to get to Magoito beach last July and it was quite lovely. I didn't bring any tools, so I could not do much extraction work. :( It was mostly oyster beds with some very nice high-spired gastropods. Some of the best fossils were in Lisbon, but they were nested in the Sao Jorge castle... I don't think they would have looked kindly upon me if I started chipping out a few pieces. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Wonderful to see all these beautiful pieces from the Jurassic of Portugal! :)

Thanks for sharing, Arthur! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png