Portugal fossils

arthurvoss

6 minutes ago, arthurvoss said:

Would be happy to trade these ones for other ammonite

Nice pieces!

You may want to start a thread in the " Member Fossil Trades Bulletin Board" sub forum.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice pieces!

You may want to start a thread in the " Member Fossil Trades Bulletin Board" sub forum.

Guys this forum is waaaaay to complicated for me....hhaha i keep posting stuff in the same page

3 minutes ago, arthurvoss said:

Guys this forum is waaaaay to complicated for me....hhaha i keep posting stuff in the same page

Not a problem there.

I think You will get a better response from posting a desired trade in the page that is set up for member to member trading.

Also there are pages set up for all sorts of other topics.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Even if it doesnt look great, this one is very very hard to find in Portugal. It has 12cm and sits on a heavy and sticky matrix

IMG_20180504_013419_057.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That ichthyosaur rostrum is amazing! Most of nearly given you a heart attack when you found it.

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/4/2018 at 6:15 PM, arthurvoss said:

Even if it doesnt look great, this one is very very hard to find in Portugal. It has 12cm and sits on a heavy and sticky matrix

IMG_20180504_013419_057.jpg

Looks pretty good to me! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, JDIG said:

Arthurvoss are you near Lisbon going to be there for two days and would like to get some advice

You may not have much luck in the city proper unless there is some construction going on. Some of the best localities are outside of Lisbon. I'd recommend a day trip to Magoito Beach, which is not far from Sintra (and Sintra is a very short train ride from any of Lisbon's stations). 

Here is what I posted on a similar topic elsewhere:

You might consider Magoito Beach (Praia do Magoito)

A relatively quick train trip from Lisbon to the station just before Sintra (Portela de Sintra) runs about 2-3 euros a person, and will take about 20 or so minutes. From that station, there is a bus bay where you can catch the 444 Magoito Beach until you hit the end of the line in 25 minutes. 

Apart from being a great, very long beach, you'll notice a lot of rock fall along the massive Cretaceous cliffs. You can surface collect marine limestone pieces filled with oyster and gastropod shells, and sometimes the occasional ammonite. 

The trains run very frequently, but the bus schedule takes a bit of planning. Here is the schedule for the bus: http://scotturb.com/pt/carreiras/horarios/verao/rota/28

The Viva Viagem reloadable cards (well worth it) are good for the trains and subway, and most buses, but not the Magoito Beach bus. You can get those at any subway station in Lisbon from an automated machine where you can also reload them. 

A picture of the beach and cliffs:

IMG_0923.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 1:16 PM, arthurvoss said:

this is maybe one of the rarest Ammonites i found. Came from the cretaceous period of Magoito/Sintra. ive colected in this beach for

over 8 years, over and over again and just found 2 specimens, one of them in very bad conditions... would love to know the species

IMG_3061.PNG

I belive it is Placenticeras uhligi CHOFFAT, 1886

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Excellent samples! Some people have all the luck!!

Hey come to Portugal, i can take you to get some cool ammonites