Need Help: Preparation Oviraptor Eggs

killer2906

Hello together,

i bought a pair Oviraptor eggs and i want to prepare them.

But i don´t know what preparation technic is the best way?

Please can you help me?

Thanks you very much!

Kind regards,

Michael

The Fotos are from the Seller, i will make some better ones in the next days.

d.jpg

dc.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I would not recommend testing your preparation skills on a pair of dinosaur eggs.

I would suggest sending them to a professional or waiting until you are sure of your preparation abilities. Practice on fossils that are of much less value.

• I found this Informative 4

I'm with Ptychodus on this one.  The eggshell layer on these type of eggs are very thin and fragile and difficult to prepare.  What makes these eggs pop is a great prep work exposing all of the ornamentation on the eggshell.   Be cautious.

• I found this Informative 1

You have been given excellent advise/observation s by the Forum members posting above. Indeed. primum non nocere.

That being said, it is possible to prep such a piece in a "low-tech" manner. I have had success with eggs using the following simple approach. It requires time and patience. 

I utilized the curved surface (not the point) of a C-shaped dental pick to gently abrade the thin matrix coating away. The matrix was dampened with a moist paper towel and the powdered matrix wiped away with the moist towel. CAUTION, in my experience this matrix is extremely hydrophillic. Soaking such a piece may result in a sink full of mud and shell fragments!

Try this approach on a small area to judge its utility for you. Unfortunately the rugose nature of the Oviraptor shell makes this technique more difficult than when applied to the smoother Hadrosaur material.

Good luck, have fun. Your mileage may vary.

Here is an egg prepped as described. 

DSCN0919acz.thumb.jpg.008299d076e0ad5a0469445e9ee5651c.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you all 

@steelhead9 I have not had an Air abrasion, but I bought one and will test it first on other fossils.

@snolly50 Thank you for the Tip! I tried it, but unfortunately it didn`t work. The matrix is to hard.

@Ptychodus04 Thanks for the offer! But I think it will be very expensive with shipping from germany and back again.

If the matrix is very hard, abraision will take forever. You will want to remove bulk matrix with a scribe. An electric engraver will do the job on the relatively cheap side.

Wear ear, eye and lung protection always when mechanically prepping fossils.