ID Help Appreciated!

physanth

Hi all,

Newbie here. I work at a science museum (former archaeologist/physical anthropologist) and am working on a geology outreach. I'm going over some of the specimens that we have, which are all unlabeled and without provenance. However, I noticed something odd in this shale specimen. It ALMOST looks like well preserved bone, but I honestly am know super knowledgeable with paleontology (it's been awhile). I was hoping this forum could help me identify if this is something significant, or if it's just some sort of funky concretion. Anyways, I've posted pictures. Thank you in advance!

image2.JPG

image6.JPG

image8.JPG

It looks like a seed or a fruit to me, but that's a guess without age or location.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think that you are correct in assuming that it could be some kind of funky concretionary formation. I don't see any tell-tale bone structure at any rate. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/