Who wants a shark tooth IDing challenge?

Miocene_Mason

This is a challenge to all who know how to identify shark teeth! I found in my collection a ton of random shark teeth. I don't know where they are from or how I got them. I also recently got a lot that had a small unlabeled bag with shark teeth and a few fish bones. All the sharks teeth together are 40. Please take a look and try to identify some. I can provide any pictures needed. Thank you and good luck, here is the gallery of Teeth that need IDs:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

These look Moroccan.

Mostly "sand tigers" (Odontaspididae). These can be tricky to identify especially without roots and cusps.

An excellent starting reference is:

• Arambourg, C and Signeux, J1952Les vertébrés fossiles des gisements de phosphates (Maroc-Algérie-Tunisie)Serv Géol Maroc, Notes et Mém, 92:372p, 62 fig., 44 pl

There have been some revisions after this which are scattered around the literature.
  • I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

These look Moroccan.

Mostly "sand tigers" (Odontaspididae). These can be tricky to identify especially without roots and cusps.

• Arambourg, C and Signeux, J1952Les vertébrés fossiles des gisements de phosphates (Maroc-Algérie-Tunisie)Serv Géol Maroc, Notes et Mém, 92:372p, 62 fig., 44 pl

There have been some revisions after this which are scattered around the literature.

Thank you! Where would I find this document? Should google work, I know it's got a book/paper finder.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I found a copy of the full text as a PDF online by Google. It's on my computer, if you can't find it I'll take a look and see if I can see where I found mine. If this fails I could email or Dropbox it for ya.

Its a big file :fistbump:

As already said, those are most likely from Morocco, very likely from the phosphate mines of Oued Zem (aka Khouribga). The same location as from where all those (commonly faked) mosasaurs come from. Though the mosasaurs are obviously from the late Cretaceous, most shark teeth (and the croc/turtle/fish fossils) are actually from the early Eocene (around 48 mya). As those shark teeth are so common, they're very rarely faked (except maybe for some restorations on the bigger teeth like Otodus, Squalicorax, etc). Those shark teeth are often sold in big quantities at very low prices at fossil fairs and events. Unfortunately, they often lack information.

Agree with @Doctor Mud for the shark teeth being mostly sand tigers, as they are the most common in Oued Zem.

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

12 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

These look Moroccan.

I hope this works. It seems to. It takes a while to load. I couldn't copy and paste the link on my phone for some reason so I had to write it out and type it in :blink:

Warning - I think this file is huge. I'm not in my computer so I can't see how big. But use wifi at home or Internet. Don't eat up your bandwidth.

Copy and paste the link into your browser and wait..... It might take a while to load.

Link to full text:

http://hybodus.free.fr/maroc/Arambourg%20%20&%20alii%20Vert%E9br%E9s%20fossiles%20des%20gisements%20de%20phosphate.pdf

2 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

I hope this works. It seems to. It takes a while to load. I couldn't copy and paste the link on my phone for some reason so I had to write it out and type it in :blink:

Warning - I think this file is huge. I'm not in my computer so I can't see how big. But use wifi at home or Internet. Don't eat up your bandwidth.

Copy and paste the link into your browser and wait..... It might take a while to load.

Link to full text:

http://hybodus.free.fr/maroc/Arambourg%20%20&%20alii%20Vert%E9br%E9s%20fossiles%20des%20gisements%20de%20phosphate.pdf

The file works just fine on my computer, so normally it should also work for you @WhodamanHD

Btw, from page 367 on, you have the "planches", which is French for plaque. But basically pictures where you can ID your teeth. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

42 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

The file works just fine on my computer, so normally it should also work for you @WhodamanHD

Btw, from page 367 on, you have the "planches", which is French for plaque. But basically teeth where you can ID your teeth. 

Thank you, that will save a lot of looking and translating! thanks for all your information.

thank you @Doctor Mud for your continued help, and taking the time to type out the whole link! I'll get to IDing them now...

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thank you, that will save a lot of looking and translating! thanks for all your information.

thank you @Doctor Mud for your continued help, and taking the time to type out the whole link! I'll get to IDing them now...

You are welcome!

I've been meaning to delve into the world of IDing a bunch of Odontaspididae teeth I have that I sourced from TFF members and elsewhere. Ive been building up resources but haven't had the time yet.

Good luck with the IDs.

17 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

You are welcome!

I've been meaning to delve into the world of IDing a bunch of Odontaspididae teeth I have that I sourced from TFF members and elsewhere. Ive been building up resources but haven't had the time yet.

Good luck with the IDs.

And good luck with yours!:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

"Planches" is ,of course,"plates",as in "photographic plates"

You're right, of course! The word just slipped out of my mind for a moment...

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

No problem ;)

Max Derème