Sponge? Norfolk coast, UK

JoLucyKelly

Hello all. I believe this a form of sponge but I'm not sure. It was found on the Norfolk coast, UK. Any help appreciated, thanks :)

20170809_133852.jpg

20170809_133845.jpg

This seems more likely to be a bryozoan to me.  I think Carboniferous fossils turn up in beach cobbles in that area, but I am certain some of our UK members will be along shortly to offer more detailed replies.

Don

You're right it is a sponge, possibly Ventriculites. It is preserved in flint which is Cretaceous aged.

This topic might help.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Knowing the age of the area would help. This looks like a paleozoic fossil someone IDed for me two days ago as a coral, Syringopora. 

IMG_8133.JPG

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

12 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

Knowing the age of the area would help. This looks like a paleozoic fossil someone IDed for me two days ago as a coral, Syringopora.

Its preserved in flint which is common across the Norfolk coast. The flint is derived from the chalk - a Cretaceous limestone.