Quack,quack

CreekCrawler

Hello fellow Texuns, I know it's hot and collecting can be somewhat grueling during the Summers here,but D.Bowen and I are going to Denison on Saturday the 25th to hit the Duck Creek formation.Barefoot might go as well.If anyone would like to join us they are welcome to come :) The best part about this exposure is that there is a rather large swimming pool pretty close B)

I'm going to try something different while I'm there. I'm going to use an underwater light, Snorkel,Mask to look for fossils under the water.The water is fairly clear there and I love to snorkel.My underwater light will be kinda funky.

A Tactical Surfire flaslight that will be sealed in a Foodsaver bag. Although I should use my Streamlight LED flashlight instead of my Surefire as I think the LED Diodes produce little heat compared to my Surfire.Oh well wish me luck and y'all come see us!

post-417-1248272010_thumb.jpg

That, as always, is too far north!

Pick somewhere more south, so more people can join!

Anyway, good luck to you!

Careful with the flashlight underwater!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

That sounds like an interesting idea. I might bring a mask and snorkel. that way when I'm cooling off, I don't have to stop hunting.

How do you think the visibility would be in shallow water?

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

That, as always, is too far north!

Anyway, good luck to you!

Careful with the flashlight underwater!

lol, we're not getting up at 2am to drive south :P 5am is too early as it is.

Now when it cools down, I would be all for taking a trip south.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

[How do you think the visibility would be in shallow water?

At best about 2 1/2 ft. Also depends on the turbidity of the water due to wind/boat traffic on that particular day.Hey it's worth a try! My back is coming along nicely,so we are definitely in for SAT...........

I'm sure we will see you Southern boyz in the Fall sometime.Until then...Happy Hunting....

I dont really know any places to go, hence why I would like to go somewhere with other people. haha.

And once the fall comes, I will be even farther away.. (Corpus, rather than Houston).. oh well!

[And once the fall comes, I will be even farther away.. (Corpus, rather than Houston).. oh well!

Well we will just have to change things up abit. Did I mention that I have a room dedicated to fishing stuff :P

Less than two days to go.

Anyone up for going with us? Should prove to be a great day for fossil hunting! (because we're just cool people to hang out with ) lol.

I'm getting excited!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Well we will just have to change things up abit. Did I mention that I have a room dedicated to fishing stuff :P

Well, I know a great beach that everyone fishes off of! (but its never crowded... thats what you get for sixty miles of beach. ;-) )

Haha... and I am going to check it out soon, but part of it is supposedly completely made of shells... Im going to start looking for teeth or other fossils there... ill let you know what I can find!

You can hunt AND fish!

[Haha... and I am going to check it out soon, but part of it is supposedly completely made of shells... Im going to start looking for teeth or other fossils there... ill let you know what I can find!

[/

I saw on a post a while ago that the shark teeth that are found in Galveston are seen rolling in the surf between the waves.I think MikeD mentioned something about that.You might want to check with Silverphoenix also about the best place to try and look as he has had some good luck also in the surf.

Galveston is four-five hours drive from Corpus...

but everything from galveston ends up in Corpus...

(about three different gulf-wide currents land on the beach right here... so im sure there is loads to be found!)

that's why i don't go in the water in galveston. don't wanna end up in corpus without a way back.

that's why i don't go in the water in galveston. don't wanna end up in corpus without a way back.

Just gimme a call. Ill be there sooner than you can find my number!

If you get in the water in Galveston, the jellyfish will carry you away to their secret breeding place. No, seriously, they tried actually picking me up and carrying me away. I had to blow my safety whistle and attack their pressure points. Never found the pressure points, but I did make them laugh so hard they dropped me, and I was able to swim [read walked on top of the water] and escape.

Of course, they are pretty populated in Corpus also. Every time I eat at Joe's crab shack, I look out the window and there are 200 jellies just floating there. Honestly, I think they are waiting for me...

I always stay at the Holiday Inn, emerald beach, and EVERY time I've been there, someone has been stung.

I go to South Padre Island, or Mustang Island. That's about as good as it gets in Texas.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Just gimme a call. Ill be there sooner than you can find my number!

wait, what?!

p.s. - why is the sand so darned fine and treacherous down there? sneeze wrong and get stuck. it's not right. it's not natural.

p.p.s. -

which South Padre?

the one WAAAY south or the one near Mustang?

Next time youre in town (for whatever reason) let me know!

wait, what?!

p.s. - why is the sand so darned fine and treacherous down there? sneeze wrong and get stuck. it's not right. it's not natural.

p.p.s. -

sneeze wrong? how about go over a pile of sand wrong and get the Jeep stuck?

which South Padre?

the one WAAAY south or the one near Mustang?

Next time youre in town (for whatever reason) let me know!

Either SP by Mustang, or even as south as Port Aransas. I went to spring break there once. OMFG... another story in itself. (and for another forum) The jellyfish were too drunk to carry me away so I felt safe there.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Either SP by Mustang, or even as south as Port Aransas. I went to spring break there once. OMFG... another story in itself. (and for another forum) The jellyfish were too drunk to carry me away so I felt safe there.

Ah. I go to the National Seashore (near Mustang... at the end of the road) quite often..

and I do most of my collecting (very) near Port Aransas...

(the man-o-war (jellyfish) make an amazing popping noise when run over by a tire....)

OK kids, here's a freebie, not an easy access site, but I don't do this often.........

Put your boat in at Aransas Pass, Ingleside, or Port Aransas and head for the channel side of Pelican Island maybe 4-5 miles SW of the Port A ferry. It is kinda where Redfish Bay turns into Corpus Christi Bay (google it up and look at a map). This is a spoil island composed of material dredged when the Corpus Christi ship channel was made. Work the WNW shoreline facing the channel and pick up every fossil sand dollar you see. I've hit this place 3-4 times in the last 3 years and now have all I need, yet more remain. I also find gastropods casts and occasional mineralized bone scraps there. I've hit some other spoil islands in the area and found nothing. This particular island is productive because you can't walk to it, and you have to know what's there and be pretty determined to do it. I hit it 7/5 in my power kayak and almost flipped it in whitecaps formed by 20-25 knot winds cutting across open water.....but I got my baggy of sand dollars....Mellita quinquesperforata, most in matrix, but some free of matrix. I think there are more fossils at the coast than are publicized; I just haven't been systematic enough to find them yet.

For those motivated enough to seek the spoils, enjoy!

Ah. I go to the National Seashore (near Mustang... at the end of the road) quite often..

and I do most of my collecting (very) near Port Aransas...

(the man-o-war (jellyfish) make an amazing popping noise when run over by a tire....)

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I used to think so too, but with your shoe when your running along the beach...that is until one of them takes revenge; sticks to the bottom of your shoe and with the next stride, flicks its painful tenticles up the back of your leg....

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

MOMMMMMM!!!!! danny's trying to DROWN us again!!!!!!!

but seriously, um, dan, i possess no watercraft, and fear that the plethora of personages who've just read your post will beat, if not horsewhip, me to this localitation. would swimming there be out of the question, if i had those little water wing thingees on?

Since it's Duck Creek, what we need is a DUKW. Y'nkow, the Duckboats? With the slogan "Ride the Ducks?" They made them from amphibious military vehicles. It makes you wonder how desperate a government has to be to sell military equipment to the tourism industry. Plus the tour guides give those little quacking noisemakers to annoying little kids. One time I was walking through the city when one of them pulled up by me and one of the kids would NOT stop honking that thing. I wanted to throw a rock at him. He was honkin' that thing like he paid for it. Which he probably did. It probably cost his parents $5 when the company probably paid some four-year-old in China 2 cents to make it. Stupid kids.

MOMMMMMM!!!!! danny's trying to DROWN us again!!!!!!!

but seriously, um, dan, i possess no watercraft, and fear that the plethora of personages who've just read your post will beat, if not horsewhip, me to this localitation. would swimming there be out of the question, if i had those little water wing thingees on?

If you try to swim, the jellyfishies will shoot a hole in your water wing thigies, and carry you off to their breeding grounds.... Seriously, they tried... wait, did I tell that one already?

Dan, thank you for the freebie. I can't really take advantage of it, but I always appreciate them anyway.

If you have any closer to my neck of the woods, please feel free to divulge. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.