Quack,quack

CreekCrawler

Ooh... I am certainly taking note of that...

Would a regular kayak do the trick?

Edit: I just googled it, and I found two possible islands... is it the one shaped like a "mermaids purse"/skate egg case.... or is it the one to the left of it?

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

I used to think so too, but with your shoe when your running along the beach...that is until one of them takes revenge; sticks to the bottom of your shoe and with the next stride, flicks its painful tenticles up the back of your leg....

haha.. yeah.. ive found tentacles stuck on my car... right where I would step... and i drive barefoot, most of the time. haha..

Needless to say, i dont run them over anymore...

Yes a yak will work. Wait for a day this summer with winds of less than 10 knots, the less the better. Drive down to the end of Charlie's Pasture at Port A and throw your boat in the water. Hug the shoreline to its southern tip, then you'll need to cross about a mile of open water to get to Pelican Island. It is a long, skinny island that looks a little pinched in the middle from aerial view. It is roughly due SE of Ingleside and I believe a nearby spoil island it is Sinrub Island if you look at a map. After the storm surge that came through last year as a result of the 'cane, I had been waiting for a while to see what had been stirred up. I only looked around for an hour this time as winds were building and I knew I needed to get out of there. I took about 30 good specimens, but you'll find more if you look at the shell pockets up in the grass. Just look for the brown sandstone looking stuff. Most sand dollars are free of matrix and worn on the edges, some are cemented to each other, others occur in slabs of brown hash composed of churned up sand dollar fragments. I didn't look this time at the southern end of the island but have found them there in the past too. Had to beat it or end up in Davy Jones' locker!

So Tracer, if the ill tempered jellies pop one of your water wings will you swim in circles? I suppose you could then just hitch a ride on one of those amphibious deer seen in another post.......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Alrighty... I wont be down there until the fall, anyway.

And more than likely I will have to rent a kayak from my school... haha

paddling a mile of open water in an unknown kayak! Eep!

If you plan on going down there (or anywhere near corpus) anytime, give me a shout!

Ive got a spot that you can drive to (if youve got a 4WD vehicle or a high clearance vehicle) ... though there isnt much there..

We were down at Port Aransas, from the July 8th - 13th, even went to San Jose Island, where you need a boat to get to. Did not find anything worth mentioning, other then a few shells. Did find a ton of broken Sand Dollars between the South Jetty and the fishing Pier.

Have found a lot more at Crystal Beach, Texas.

Fishing, was terrible, needed to just go out in the Gulf on a charter boat to catch anything.

On 7/4 I got 5 mangrove snapper, a 20 inch black drum, and a 25 inch red that snapped my favorite rod as I eased him into the net (got the fish). And of course the sand dollars. The following weekend I took my son for a repeat on the fishing. Final body count: 1 croaker, 1 speckled trout 15.25 inches, 1 redfish 23 inches (I unhooked the anchor line and let him tow us around in the yak - good fun whether you are 7 or 39), and 12 mangrove snaps. Good times. Good fish. All caught on live shrimp and cut pin perch. And oh yes the hermit crabs that Weston caught and then smashed out of their shells with a hammer - great bait. This weekend more kayak action in parts unknown......

Grüße,

We were fishing from the Jetties (North once, south the other days) and Piers, using live shrimp and live piggy's. Caught couple hardheads, one small speck and lost tons of leaders.

We were not the only one's not catching anything, several people were commenting on how bad the fishing was. Did not see anyone carrying a catch out to the car. Next time will be going out on a boat.

Glad you had good luck down there, someone needs to.

We were fishing from the Jetties (North once, south the other days) and Piers, using live shrimp and live piggy's. Caught couple hardheads, one small speck and lost tons of leaders.

We were not the only one's not catching anything, several people were commenting on how bad the fishing was. Did not see anyone carrying a catch out to the car. Next time will be going out on a boat.

Glad you had good luck down there, someone needs to.

It was a doubly good time cuz a) my boy caught fish too, B) it was a new area to me

In summertime at the coast I like to bottom fish deep structure. Cooler water + moving tide + getting away from the crowds + live shrimp = good stringer. The kicker is finding good structure that won't snag you every cast, as it often seems that fish prefer structure that steals hooks. I'll be itching to head back down there again soon, but I don't think the whole August sleep in the car to save Dad a buck thing will go over well again with my boy....

Grüße,

Well, it was a long walk, it was hot, it was a REALLY long walk back carrying 70 pounds of ammonites and other stuff, but I had an awesome time!

Snakekeeper, His friend, my son and I met up with DanielP at the site and trekked in. Soon after, Barefoot girl and her lovely daughter met the hunting party on site.

I never thought I would say this, but I literally (this is an honest true statement) TRIPPED over ammonites 3 different times. There were ammonite fragments everywhere. I regret not taking pictures, but I was so awe inspired, I completely forgot. :( Anyway, it was a very nice time. Stayed cool for quite a while, but once it heated up, the cold water was a refreshing break. It really kept us going much longer than we would have normally. That's the way to fossil hunt!

Anyway, I had a great time, met some really cool people, Daniel, Tara, and Cheyenne (sp?) and thank you Barry for inviting us.

We also had the good fortune of getting to see some of Tara's cool finds from all over the country! Wow, what a great collection!

Here are a few of my finds for the day. Well, the ones I was willing to carry out of there. Did I mention it was a LONG walk? lol.

The large ammonite measures 14 inches across, and the smallest one about 7mm. I also found a small gastropod measuring 5mm across. I came out with a couple of echinoids that were given to me because I just couldn't find one. I call them pity-chinoids. :)

post-1882-1248643924_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1248644215_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Sounds like you guys had a quacking good time!

Nice finds, I wish I could trip over an ammonite three times.

Sounds like you guys had a quacking good time!

Nice finds, I wish I could trip over an ammonite three times.

No, you don't understand. I tripped over 3 different ammonites. Barefootgirl tripped over at least one that I saw. lol.

It was very entertaining. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

No, you don't understand. I tripped over 3 different ammonites. Barefootgirl tripped over at least one that I saw. lol.

It was very entertaining. :)

I wish there were enough ammonites that I would even have the chance of tripping over one. ;-)

What a blast! Snorkeling was fun too although not very productive. The lights I brought were not of any use due to the sun being out.Visibility was about two feet plus early on ,but the boat traffic changed that in a hurry. I brought back a large Eopachydiscus and this Mortonoceras .I actually found my first two pointed sharks teeth from there.It was great seeing everyone and I'm ready to go back.Daniel, it was great to meet you and look forward to more outings with you.Thanks everyone for a great time.

post-417-1248646317_thumb.jpg

dave - i normally don't ask people to do this, but i'm really having difficulty picturing the ammonite fragments everywhere, and i need you to go back and take pictures of them.

i've almost recovered from the trip tj and i took there where we carted out probably a quarter-ton of ammonites of various flavors. i had mistakenly thought that eopachydiscus ammonites seemed of a size and conformation to serve admirably as seat cushions for our dining room chairs, but i really should have taken into consideration the lack of "give" the things have, so after noting the look on the faces of our guests at the first dinner we held, i just threw the things out in the yard the next day and haven't sat on one since. the sad thing was that we carted those things out from texoma by hand, and like i say, i've just about recovered from the trip. i think it was like, four years ago.

i had meant to go see if there were ones to be had with less effort on the north side of the lake, but when i attempted to cross the border, i was told that doing so would make me an honorary "okie", so we turned back.

but seriously, folks...you need to go to boswell, oklahoma at least once. and if you do, ask if they remember me.

ROFL! :rofl: You are something else! Yea, I'll get right on that picture thing!

Next time I go... :P I'll be going back soon. I have about 2 hours of work into an ammonite that I need to finish getting out. Hopefully someone didn't invest the other hour or so needed to free him from the limestone monster that clutches it!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

you left a partially extracted ammonite at texoma?!

<leaving skid marks burning out of the driveway. setting cruise control on "hyper drive">

you left a partially extracted ammonite at texoma?!

<leaving skid marks burning out of the driveway. setting cruise control on "hyper drive">

I found one the same size and species as the one I was extracting, so I decided to continue hunting. If it's still there next time, I'll get it, if not, someone else will have a nice ammonite. :)

I'm trying not to be greedy, since there are only about 10,000 of them left out there. :drool:

Take a look at the one I pulled out in the member's collection thread. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Yes a yak will work. Wait for a day this summer with winds of less than 10 knots, the less the better. Drive down to the end of Charlie's Pasture at Port A and throw your boat in the water. Hug the shoreline to its southern tip, then you'll need to cross about a mile of open water to get to Pelican Island. It is a long, skinny island that looks a little pinched in the middle from aerial view. It is roughly due SE of Ingleside and I believe a nearby spoil island it is Sinrub Island if you look at a map. After the storm surge that came through last year as a result of the 'cane, I had been waiting for a while to see what had been stirred up. I only looked around for an hour this time as winds were building and I knew I needed to get out of there. I took about 30 good specimens, but you'll find more if you look at the shell pockets up in the grass. Just look for the brown sandstone looking stuff. Most sand dollars are free of matrix and worn on the edges, some are cemented to each other, others occur in slabs of brown hash composed of churned up sand dollar fragments. I didn't look this time at the southern end of the island but have found them there in the past too. Had to beat it or end up in Davy Jones' locker!

So Tracer, if the ill tempered jellies pop one of your water wings will you swim in circles? I suppose you could then just hitch a ride on one of those amphibious deer seen in another post.......

Good info - thanks Dan!

But to equally important questions like: did you catch any fish???

Last week in WV didn't produce a lot of fossils, but me and my kids caught 50+ bass...

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"