Advice on how to trade fossils outside of the forum

mattbsharks

As I'm sure you all know, from my experiences interacting with the people on this forum, they tend to be very nice and reputable people, including when conducting trades and sales. I'm wondering and techniques/procedures forum members use when they are making a trade with someone that is not a part of the forum. How do you make sure someone isn't ripping you off? Are there other reliable websites where people trade fossils in relative safety of having their fossils taken? Any recommendations? Any insight at all here would help. I am pretty new to fossil trades. Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

Best,

Matt

In a trade, there are no guarantees as it is based on trust. Unless the people involved in the trade are both physically present, it does end up being about trust.

There are some steps one can take, some or all may be applicable pending  circumstance:

1. Only trade with those you trust. That is not always feasible, but it bears stating.

2. Ask questions about the piece(s), and be ready to answer questions in turn. Provide and request photos to ensure everyone knows what they are getting.

3. Provide and request tracking information on packages.

4. Don't trade away something too valuable, even if you are expecting something valuable in return. 

5. If you do choose to trade higher value items, you may wish to "test the waters" a bit by trading lower value items first.

6. Use and request packages have sufficient packing filler to avoid broken fossils.

7. Everyone should be clear about customs and laws pertaining to the import and export of fossils prior to the trade, and an agreement should be reached about what value to assign the package.

Not sure about websites for trading fossils. This place seems good enough to me. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I nearly always trade via TFF. But I do sometimes use Instagram too. There's actually a pretty big fossil community on Instagram, and many people just as loveable as the ones on this awesome forum. Of course, there are a few scammers out there, and probably more than here on TFF.

Once you find a guy that you "suppose" is trustful (of course there's a risk) you can go into Direct Messages (DM) and conclude the trade just like how we do it on TFF.

To find some other fossil-lovers on Instagram, you can go to my account @world_of_fossils , look at the people I follow; those are mostly other fossil enothusiasts ;)

But follow @Kane's advice; it's really good.

Good luck!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

8 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

I nearly always trade via TFF. But I do sometimes use Instagram too. There's actually a pretty big fossil community on Instagram, and many people just as loveable as the ones on this awesome forum. Of course, there are a few scammers out there, and probably more than here on TFF.

Once you find a guy that you "suppose" is trustful (of course there's a risk) you can go into Direct Messages (DM) and conclude the trade just like how we do it on TFF.

To find some other fossil-lovers on Instagram, you can go to my account @world_of_fossils , look at the people I follow; those are mostly other fossil enothusiasts ;)

But follow @Kane's advice; it's really good.

Good luck!

Max

What you said about instagram is really cool! Any recommendations on good fossil accounts to follow for interesting photos etc?

20 hours ago, mattbsharks said:

What you said about instagram is really cool! Any recommendations on good fossil accounts to follow for interesting photos etc?

I said it here ;)

On 10/27/2017 at 4:08 PM, Max-fossils said:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

I said it here ;)

that's exactly what I ended up doing! You inspired me to create an instagram account dedicated to fossils! Thanks for that!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Matt, another good way is to go to a fossil show or two and just start talking to folks.  Thats how I started trading, and also finding new fossil hunting grounds too.   i did start trading via the internet years ago, and most trades were good, but after the 3rd time i got ripped off I became jaded and quit for quite a few years.  Good luck.

RB

I've had really good dealings with fossil trades on here with members such as @Fossil Claw. My last transaction with a different TFF member is not going as smooth. My suggestion is to start with something of small value that you don't mind losing if you receive nothing in return. I will say most of the long term members on here seem to be good honest people. I've had bad luck trading outside of the forum. 

1 hour ago, JarrodB said:

I've had really good dealings with fossil trades on here with members such as @Fossil Claw. My last transaction with a different TFF member is not going as smooth. My suggestion is to start with something of small value that you don't mind losing if you receive nothing in return. I will say most of the long term members on here seem to be good honest people. I've had bad luck trading outside of the forum. 

On this note, you have to generally have trust in your fellow man ( or woman!).  All I can say is someone does not remain a very respected member for long if they burn bridges. I attempt to give( trade wise) items that are show worthy and that the other person would likely not have a means to collect locally. Now that is from a "Blind Trade"( c) transactions perspective. You will have a better chance of knowing what you'll get if you are trading for known items. 

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

15 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Remember to report bad trades to the moderators.  While you trade at your own risk, members that don't live up to their word will be removed from the forum if they cause too much trouble.  Always report the so the moderators can take action before bad members impact too many good members.

I have had a lot of fun trading with good members and have done more trades than I can count.  I have also had dealings with one really bad member that stole items from me and other members.  That member was removed and banned from the forum.

I am currently dealing with something like that on the forum, with a faulty sale partner, but the moderators are handling it with total class and fairness, as is the norm for them.