Best Tetragramma Of My Career

BobC

I know I said I was going to stop fossil hunting for the summer but don't go listening to every bit of nonsense that comes outta my mouth. I went North and found some of the best urchins of my career--just beautifully preserved for the most part--but best of all I found a near perfect huge Tetragramma!! I have gotten so good at spotting the kind of rock these guys usually come out of that I took one look at this spot and said to myself I'm gonna find a Tetragramma here--and sure enough about fifteen minutes later this beauty pops out at me! Later that weekend I fell off a cliff and pulled a muscle in my back--so for the rest of the trip I was hobbling around like an old man!!

post-1290-1248786400_thumb.jpg

and another video from the hunt explaining what I look for in terms of terrain when I'm out snooping around in Central Texas:

and last but not least, here is a group shot of my catch o' the day, along with the huge Tetragramma I found a couple of months ago in Salado (he's on the left, and the new Tet is on the right just to show the quality difference)

post-1290-1248787083_thumb.jpg

Wow! That's beautiful!! Nice finds!!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Here's a closeup of him--and another pic of the Tetragramma with a great Phymosoma

Bob, in the pic on the right...does the echie on the left have perforated tubercles? It looks like a pic of 2 Tetragrammas and scattered Phymosomas.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice Tetragramma taffi. ;)

John--here in Central Texas we find mostly Phymosomas in various conditions, but those Tetragramma are really rare. I have two friends who have hunted since the 70's and they have only ever found one or two Tetragrammas ever. In fact, when I told them I've found six so far, they said, and I do quote, "If that is true, it would be extraordinary." And it's true! I think the reason I've found hundreds of echinoids is is because I go out driving and just follow my nose. I almost never go to established sites. I like finding my own sites

Hey John--looks like you are from Texas yourself (sorry---didn't realize that before)--do you know how many types of Tetragramma can be found in Texas?

John--here in Central Texas we find mostly Phymosomas in various conditions, but those Tetragramma are really rare. I have two friends who have hunted since the 70's and they have only ever found one or two Tetragrammas ever. In fact, when I told them I've found six so far, they said, and I do quote, "If that is true, it would be extraordinary." And it's true! I think the reason I've found hundreds of echinoids is is because I go out driving and just follow my nose. I almost never go to established sites. I like finding my own sites

Bob, here in central Texas we find Tetragrammas with more frequency than "rare". Some species are definitely less common than others, but Tetragramma taffi would not be considered "rare" (with all respect to your friends) in Central Texas. They may be "rare" to them, but as you've discovered, they show up with some frequency to someone like you that finds new sites. Your finds are a sign of your increasing knowledge and experience.

Now back to the large echie next to your big ol' T. taffi. Are the tubercles perforate? :unsure:

Wow--this is exciting!! I'm learning more! John I am at work right now so I can't tell you if they are perforate--but I will look when I get home.

John why do you ask? This is exciting! I have noticed that some of these echinoids that I've been told are Phymosomas actually look different from each other. Man I would love to sit down with you and go over the echinoids I have because I'm assuming by what you are asking that I might have a variety of urchins on my hands.

I have a question about the term "perforate." I have noticed that on most of the echinoids that I think are Phymosomas have tubercles that have no holes in them. The tubercles are just bumps, basically.

On the Tetragrammas, the larger tubercles have holes in them--and I've been calling that perforated.

However, on some of the echinoids, which I thought were Phymosomas, have tubercles that look like nipples--in other words they have the trademark bump, with a smaller bump on top of that. BUT--if I recall correctly, the "nipple" tip doesn't have a hole in it. What is this kind of tubercle called?

Guys--I am still very much in the learning stage and I get a lot of conflicting info from different collectors so please have patience with me.

No problem, Bob. I'm learning too. I just think you may have more than 6 Tetras...maybe. Sometimes eroded tubercles can look "perforate" (like they have a pin hole in them), but undamaged ones will clearly show the holes, or not. The echie next to the large one and the partial showing on the far left may both be Tetragrammas. As I was told many times, "you need to get a copy of the Akers book, Texas Cretaceous Echinoids". There is more information in it about echinoid morphology than you can politely discuss at a party. :blush:

You did good! B)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I'll look for that book. I have a book called The fossils of Texas which is good--but god dang it, the photos suck so bad it is impossible to see what they are talking about half the time. On top of that they use all these terms that I am not familiar with even though I am learning slowly. I think I am going to take extreme closeups of each of the echinoids types I have and post them at some point. That way I can save the thread and not have to keep asking questions.

So what is the nipple-looking tubercle called?

So what is the nipple-looking tubercle called?

tracer should be the one to answer this................(looking for paper towels to wipe blood from lip).

Thanks guys! This is exciting that I might have a whole variety of different echinoids that I was unaware of.

Well Bob, as usual, my jealousy knows no bounds. Beautiful fossils. I can usually look at a rock, and say, "yep it's a rock". So nice finds my friend.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Thanks John. You should think about coming down here when it's cooler--I'll take you out. MikeD and Oh-Man will vouch that I'm not a serial killer or anything.

They are beautiful, aren't they? I am so amazed at how nature can come up with these beautiful patterns and shapes.